Military History/546th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company

Joe Cat wrote at 2015-05-27 23:47:24
Good Evening,

My father was in the 546 Heavy Ordinance during WWII as well.

From what he told us, they did their basic training in Camp Shelby, Mississippi.

I believe they were attached to the 2nd Armored Division, he always talked about a lot of trouble retrieving tanks stuck in the hedge rows at St Lo.    

I believe they landed on the second wave on Omaha Beach.

Dad talked a lot about St Lo, St Milo and Rhen (please Excuse my spelling) and liberating Paris.

Before the invasion they were in place called Area M in England.

My father was very proud as we all are of his service.

Anything you can find out about his service would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You  

Richard V. Horrell wrote at 2015-05-29 19:18:48
Dear Mr. Cat,

Thank you for your _?_?_.  In it you typed "I believe they were attached to the 2nd Armored Division".  I can find no supporting FACTS that the 546th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company was attached [attached] to the 2nd Armored Division.

In your _?_?_ you typed "I believe they landed on the second wave on Omaha Becah.  The 546th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company participated in the following Campaigns in the ETO, 1944-45:

Northern France     July 25-September 14, 1944

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945

The 546th is not even creditted with the Normandy Campaign, therefore the 546th was not "on the second wave on Omaha Beach".  What is your source that the 546th made an amphibious assault onto OMAHA Beach on Tuesday, June 6, 1944?

St. Lo was liberated July 18, 1944, St. Malo by elements of Third Army on August 17, 1944, Rennes by elements of Third Army on August 4, 1944 & Paris by the FRENCH 2nd Armored Division on August 25, 1944.

In your _?_?_ you typed "Anything you can find out about his service would be greatly appreciated."  I can find no FACTS, what-so-ever about your father for you, since I have no FACTS to begin my research of him.  FACTS about the 546th I have, FACTS about your father, I do NOT.  Only with a photocopy of your father's WD AGO Form 53-55 would I be able to provide you with FACTS about your father.

Richard V. Horrell

WW 2 Connections

2011 Richard Jones Road

Apt.      E 26

Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.