Military History/Presidential Unit Citation, 222nd IF, Rainbow Division

Chatterbox wrote at 2015-04-08 16:30:03
I have an original copy of Dr. Franz Hain's 'The Fire And The Furnace' copyrighted 1945 Australia. If anyone has any information about this book I would appreciate it. I can't find anything online. It is the story of the 222nd Infantry Divisions deployment in June 1944 and combat action.

Richard V. Horrell wrote at 2015-04-10 21:58:11
Dear Chatterbox,

Please note that the unit history was published in Austria, NOT Australia.  Also, the 222rd Infantry REGIMENT was a REGIMENT, NOT a Division (please note the sub-title).  222nd Infantry REGIMENT, assigned [assigned] to the 42nd Infantry DIVISION.  

With said clarification typed for all to learn, would you provide some additional FACTS from "The Furnace and the Fire"?  From the text, would you please type the name of the Troop Ship(s) that transported the 222nd Infantry REGIMENT overseas in 1944?  Departing the New York Port of Embarkation on November 25, 1944, via the Straits of Gibraltar, the Troop Ship(s) arrived at Marseilles, France, December 8, 1944.

Respectfully,

Richard V. Horrell

WW 2 Connections

2011 Richard Jones Road

Apt.      E 26

Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell