Military History/SS Westminster Victory

Kathy R. wrote at 2014-01-31 03:04:12
Mr. Horrell, Box #36 of this record says “10 Jan 46 Four trips outside continental US to ETO Theatre of Operation USA 16 Apr 46.”

The following information is given in the Military History section.

•   Recalled AD 13 Aug 45

•   Place of entry CP  Atterbery IND

•   Clerk typist 405

•   Continental service 5 months 21 days

•   Foreign service 3 months 7 days

•   Prior service AUS 1 year 5 months 13 days

My father was originally inducted into the service in July 1943.  He was sent to Camp Dodge, IA and entered active duty in August 1943.  He served as a Military Policeman 677 at POW Branch Camp #1, Chesterfield, MO.  In December 1944 he was separated from the Army and entered the Enlisted Reserve Corps to accept employment in an “essential industry.”  He became a forge and foundry worker at Continental Foundry & Machine Company, East Chicago, IN.  As indicated above, he was recalled in August 1945.

Do you have suggestions for learning more about the POW camp in Chesterfield?

Thank you for your interest and help.

Military History

Richard V. Horrell