Military History/Presidential Unit Citation, 222nd IF, Rainbow Division

Question
Dear Sir,

I recently read that the 222nd Infantry Division, Company G, Rainbow Division, received the Presidential Unit Citation sometime in 2001.

I am wondering how to obtain a copy or secure this for my deceased father's family files.  Father in active service 3/19/1943 - 4/5/1946.  Service #36-457-398

I am his daughter.  He was discharged "CPL, Company G, 222nd IF"

Thanks for any information you can provide.  

I have a lot of information on his Division of course but not as much on the Company.

Thanks again

Answer
Happy Holidays,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I recently read that the 222nd Infantry Division".  With all due respect, the US Military did not activate a "222nd Infantry Division" during WW 2.  I am going to assume (something I am loathed to do) that you were referring to the 222nd Infantry Regiment.
       In your question you typed "received the Presidential Unit Citation sometime in 2001.  I am wondering how to obtain a copy or secure this for my deceased father's family files.  Father in active service 3/19/1943-4/5/1946."  I am not sure I understand the question.  Your father served in the US Military, March 1943-April 1946.  The Presidential Unit Citation was awarded, by what you typed, in 2001.  How then is your father entitled to be awarded a Presidential Unit Citation awarded in 2001, when your father was discharged from the UM Military in April 1946?
       In your question you typed "He was discharged "CPL, Company G, 222nd IF".  Is what you typed obtained from Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?  If so, Box #6 contains the unit the Veteran was assigned to when the Veteran was discharged.  Sometimes the unit in Box #6 is the unit the Veteran was assigned to prior to May 8, 1945.  Sometimes it is not.
       In your question you typed "I have alot of information on his Division [sic] of course but not as much on the Company [sic]."  May I suggest you obtain the following:

222nd Infantry Regiment, 1944
Baton Rouge, Louisiana        Army Navy Publishing Co.        1944

The Furnace and the Fire: the story of a regiment
Vienna, Austria        Dr. Franz Hain        1945

The only unit award I can find that was awarded to the 222nd Infantry Regiment was a Meritorious Unit Commendation, awarded to H.Q. Company, 222nd Infantry Regiment.  The period was March 1-May 1, 1945.  General Order #157, H.Q. 42nd Infantry Division, awarded September 13, 1945.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell