Military History/T C units/troopships

dad\'s discharge 2
dad's discharge 2  
dad\'s discharge
dad's discharge  
QUESTION: Mr Horrell, thanks for your prompt reply re my dad's unit. I only have what I believe are pages 1/2 of his discharge doc. Mom and I arrived in New York 10/12/46 on the USAT "Zebulon B Vance". Dad's date of arrival was given as 10/14/46. Is is possible that he returned to the US on same vessel. Re the APO being Tidworth, that's where mom and I were held in a transit camp pending our journey to the US.
Could you also explain the difference between Port battalions/company and 11th/16th/17th Port etc. All these would have been in the Swansea area 1943/44.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, thank you for the scans of page one & page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  As to your mother & you arriving at the Port of New York on October 12, 1946 onboard the US Army Transport Zebulon B. Vance, do you recall the location & date your departed the E.T.O.?
       As to your mother & you arriving at the Port of New York on October 12, 1946 & your father arriving at the Port of New York on October 14, 1946, my observation would be that your mother & you were on one ship, your father on another.
       The difference between a Port & a "Port battalion/company" was that a Port was a HQ Unit, to oversea the operation of the port in question.  A "Port battalion/company" would be attached to the Port as needed, to perform the tasks necessary to operate the port.  I own the unit history of the 16th Port, and a chapter in a book about the 11th Port.  It would be my pleasure to photocopy these pages, then send the photocopies to you via AirPost.  Please send me your mailing address via AirPost & I will begin photocopying.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: Mr Horrell, Thanks for the further info. Re our departure from the UK. Mom and I sailed from Southampton on either the 26 or 28 September 1946.
I have part copy of the passenger manifest, stamped alongside each of the infants name is US Cit. Would you know what this means.? Did the discharge docs provided any clues as to Dad's unit.My address to follow via airmail as requested.

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, thank you for the date() your mother & you departed from the UK, as well as the location.
       In regard to "US Cit" I have never encountered such.  Could it be indicating that the infant is a US Citizen?  Were the children born of a marriage in the UK between US Military Personnel & a wife have US Citizenship at time of birth?
       Page two of your father's Discharge Documents did not yield any facts as per the unit your father served with prior to V-E Day.  I did find interesting the fact in Box #3, which then led me to Box #55.  Providing the date of promotion was more of a post-war inclusion.
       I will eagerly await your mailing address via AirPost.  Did you include your e-mail address for ease of response?

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.