Military History/troop transport/unit served in

Mr Horrell, my father Ben Lee Davis 34689599 left the US on 8/19/43, arriving ETO 9/4/43 (assume UK). His grade was railway dispatcher 069. He arrived back US 10/14/46. Separation center Ft Bragg NC 12/23/46. He was based in Swansea,Wales. I'm trying to ID the unit or battalion he would have been attached to. His final pay docket records his previous organization or place as APO437 from 9/17/46.
Also any help in ID of ships he crossed ocean in.

Terence (based in UK)

Dear sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       As to the troop ship your father was a passenger upon in 1943:

Departure Date:   August 20, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Ruahine
Arrival Date:   September 3, 1943
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

Please note the dates I just typed are one day different than the dates you provided.  Troop ships took a bit of time to load & unload.
       As to your father's return to the USA, I am not sure my reply is 100% accurate.  For me to place an entry in my Troop Ship Data Base, I must have three sources, one of them a Primary Source.  What I am about to type, I only have two sources.  Do NOT carve this in stone:

Departure Date:   late September or early October 1946
Departure Location:   Bremerhaven, Germany
Troop Ship:   SS Maritime Victory
Arrival Date:   October 14, 1946
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation

As to the unit your father "would have been attached to" I respectfully request your father's Discharge Documents (4 pages) & attach them to your reply.  Contained within would be FACTS invaluable to me to continue ACCURATE historic research.
       APO 437 was for general (post war) mail between the USA & Great Britain.  The APO was located in Southampton, England, beginning October 30, 1945.  Sometime during October 1946 the APO was re-located to Tidworth, England.
       I will eagerly await photocopies of your father's Discharge Documents.  Hopefully all four pages, but page two is a must.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.