Military History/WW 2, Battery C, 788th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion

Question
QUESTION: Good evening,
I have been trying to collect information on my great uncle, Howard William Henrikson.  He was extremely quiet regarding his time of service in World War Two.  He had a scar on his face that he would not talk about.  I have been able find two papers regarding his military service.  The following information is located on his form WD AGO FORM 53-55.  His last military organization was BTRY C 788TH AAA AW BN.  His army serial no. was 36 210 639.  He ended his service at grade CPL.  The form mentions that he was Platoon SGT CONS & Artillery 651.  Battles and campaigns list: Ardennes Rhineland Central Europe.  He was born 14 January 1913.  He entered service May 13, 1941 with Battery K 95th Coast Artillery Antiaircraft, transferred to 6th Corps November 12, 1941.  Date of separation 21December 1945.  Active service entry 8 Feb 1942.  Any information on his history or his units history would be greatly appreciated.  I saw a similar unit question regarding the same battery, etc. asked this fall.  Any help would be greatly appreciated by our family.
Phil

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "The following information is located on his form WD AGO FORM 53-55."  What you are describing is page two of Cpl. Henrikson's Discharge Documents, which is invaluable toward ACCURATE historic research.  Each of the 57 Boxes contain a FACT about the Veteran's service.  Since the Veteran signed the document as being ACCURATE, it certainly is an EXCELLENT Primary Source Document.
       In your question you typed "His last military organization was BTRY C 788th AAA AW BN."  If that FACT is from Box #6 on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Document, then that unit was the unit the Veteran was assigned to after V-E Day for the purpose of returning to the USA.  It might be the unit the Veteran was assigned to prior to V-E Day, so more research would have to be conducted to determine the unit the Veteran was assigned to prior to V-E Day.
       Since you did not provide me with a scan of page two of the Veteran's Discharge Document, I do not have ALL THE FACTS to continue assisting you.  However, I will provide you with some suggestions.  Do you have any of the Veteran's wartime correspondence?  If so, please refer to the envelope (you do NOT need to read the letter).  Depending upon who sent the letter, the unit the Veteran was assigned to appears in the address or return address.
       Have you any wartime photographs of the Veteran near a vehicle?  If so, what are the markings on the vehicle?  The markings are a code, but I have the cypher to de-code what appears on the vehicle.  The unit appears in the code.
       The first set of dates, HORIZONTALLY, in Box #36 on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents are the dates the Veteran went overseas.  Matching those dates with the dates in my Troop Ship Voyage Data Bate (over 9,200 entries) may also reveal the unit(s) onboard the troop ship.  But, those dates were not provided.
       In your question you typed "Battles and campaigns list: Ardennes Rhineland Central Europe."  

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace     December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe      March 22-May 8, 1945

The Campaign Credits for the 788th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion are as follows:

Northern France        July 25-September 14, 1944
Ardennes-Alsace        December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe         March 22-May 8, 1945

In your question you typed "He entered service May 13, 1941 with Battery K 95th Coast Artillery Antiaircraft".  The 95th Coast Artillery Regiment was located at Camp Davis, North Carolina on May 13, 1941.  Remained at that location until arrival at Fort McDowell, California, December 21, 1941.
       In your question you typed "Active service entry 8 Feb 1942."  In the previous paragraph I indicated you typed "He entered service May 13, 1941".  I am confused.  The Veteran "entered service May 13, 1941" but also "Active service entry 8 Feb 1942"?  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections    

QUESTION: Good Morning Richard,
I have found his complete "separation qualification record WD AGO Form 100"'  and "certificate of service".  I would be glad to send you a copy of these documents.  It appears to me that he was in the 95th from 13  May 1941 to 12 November 1941, then his paperwork states "recall" 8 February 1942  Fort Sheridan, Illinois.  His date of departure was 11August 1944 destination ETO date of arrival 24 August 1944.  The end of war date of departure 7 December 1945 destination USA date of arrival 16 December 1945.  Our family has no war time correspondence, pictures etc.  As mentioned I would be glad to provide you copies to an address.  Thank you.
Phil

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "His date of departure was 11 August 1944 destination ETO date of arrival 24 August 1944."  Departing the New York Port of Embarkation on August 11, 1944, a 15 troop ship convoy arrived (some troop ships Liverpool, some Gourock) August 24, 1944.
       In your follow-up you typed "The end of war date of departure 7 December 1945 destination USA date of arrival 16 December 1945."

Departure Date:   December 7, 1945
Departure Location:   Le Havre, France
Troop Ship:   USAT Thomas H. Barry
Arrival Date:   December 16, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell