Military History/WWII Army Air Corp

My Father was a radar observer-mechanic Bombardment 2765 assigned to the 494th.  What would a person in that position do? Where the part of the air crew?  Would they also man a gun?  Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Dear Mike,
        The radar/observer duties and descriptions can be found at the following two web sites:

This will bring up the complete manual entitled Radar Observers Bombardment File or ROBIF.
You can read the complete manual at this site dated July, 1945. The radar/observer was part of the air crew and as such was expected to man a gun as well.

A mechanic was part of the ground crew and was the one who kept the aircraft engines maintained and running. They wouldn't man a gun unless defending the airfield. May God Bless-Lt. Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard  

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

I can answer both specific and general military history questions from ancient times to the present. I also provide references and footnotes where I obtained the answers from.