Military History/Identifying Russian Uniform

Question
John Michael Slavashevech
John Michael Slavashev  
QUESTION: I'm trying to identify the uniform of my husband's grandfather,the gentleman on the left. I have noticed the difference in the uniforms worn by both men but still cannot find any helpful information. For certain he was in the Russian Army during the reign of Czar(Tsar) Nicholas II but that's all I know. For some reason, the family story is that he was part of the Imperial Guard, but none knows for certain. In the photo is shows a date of " 1909 Russia". He immigrated to this county around 1910-1911. Thank you for any help you can offer.

ANSWER: Thank you! I need help from a friend of mine with this Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud. I have sent him your question and your picture and as soon as I have His reply I will comeback back to you! He is very good with old uniforms!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colonel Bojerud has called. The man to the left is a sergeant major. The one to the right a private. Both are infantrymen. Since the picture is in black and white it is impossible to figure out what regiment(s) they belonged to but it is quite possible that they belonged to one or two infantry guards regiment(s). There were several in the S:t Petersburg area. More can not be said at present with certainty. I do hope you are satisfied! Good luck! Now I am rather curious. What makes a sergeant major in a Russian infantry regiment maybe even a guards regiment leave Russia for USA in the beginning of the 20th century? Political dissatisfaction? Religious problems? Economy problems? Or a mixture of two or three factors? What does your husband know about that?

QUESTION: I spoke with my mother in-law regarding her father and she said that he did not like to talk about his time in Russia or when he was in the military. I do believe the only thing she remembers is that he didn't like what was taking place in the country at the time. She did say that he traveled to several places before arriving in the US. Does the white belt signify anything or was this part of a particular dress uniform ? What books would you recommend that would focus on the regiments in St. Petersburg at that specific time or any books that will be helpful for that matter. Thank you so much for your help wit this !

Answer
Again I will have to talk to Colonel Bojerud since this is his specialty. As soon as I know the answer I will come back to you!

I have talked to Col. Bojerud. He does not know of any significance with regards to the belt. He can not give yo any specific advice with regards to books related to this place and period. I would suggest that you search by Google and Wikipedia. Amazon may also be able to give you suggestions. Good luck!

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.