Military History/Trying to learn about my grandfathers role in WWII

Question
Separation Papers
Separation Papers  

Honorable Discharge
Honorable Discharge  
(I just tried to submit this question and I received an error, so I am trying again. I apologize if this sent twice!)

Hello, over the last 5 years I have become more and more absorbed in my grandfathers role in WWII. He was very tight-lipped about anything that involved his time there until the time of his passin,g where he would call my father (who did not have the best relationship, which is a different story entirely) crying retelling stories of Normandy and what he had seen. His records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, and all I had were very unspecific stories and a dagger and sword with Nazi engravings. His home turned up very little. This was until about a year ago when I was rummaging through my grandmothers belongings after she had passed and found a treasure trove of papers regarding my grandfather. I have separation papers, his honorable discharge, newspapers, internal memos to the soldiers along with a few photos. I have been obsessed with finding out more. I will gladly supply copies of these documents. I would love to know more about his company, when he arrived and the ship that took him, his MOS, just anything to be able to better understand my grandfather. I have attached some of the documents below. Thank you so much.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I have separation papers, his honorable discharge".  You certainly have.  Page one & page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents.  Have you found page three & page four?  Box #6 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents indicate he was assigned to the 357th Infantry Regiment, 90th Infantry Division.  The 357th Infantry Regiment landed across UTAH Beach, Cotentin Peninsula, Normandy, France on Thursday, June 8, 1944.
       In your question you typed "to know more about his company".  Your grandfather would have been assigned to HQ Company, 357th Infantry Regiment.  There is a unit history.  It is:

Regimental History of the 357th Infantry
by George Von Roeder
Weiden, Germany        Ferdinand Nickl Buchdruckerei        1945

There is a copy at the U.S. Army Military History Institute Library at Carlisle Barracks, PA.  Carlisle Barracks is NOT a lending library, so I see a road trip in your (near) future.  LOL
       In your question you typed "when he arrived"?  Arrived where?
       In your question you typed "the ship that took him".  

Departure Date:   April 5, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   R.M.S. Ruahine
Arrival Date:   April 21, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England

In your question you typed "his MOS".  Unfortunately, the "MOS" listed in Box #30 is an error.  M.O.S. #560 is NOT "Pioneer" but Pigeoneer!

Pigeoneer     560

Pigeon Trainer:  Breeds, trains and cares for a loft of homing pigeons which are to be used as message carriers within or between Army units.  That is why your grandfather was assigned to HQ Company, as redundancy for communication "within or between Army units."
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
    Richard V. Horrell
      WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell