Military History/Uncle in World War 2

QUESTION: This is a follow up to a question you answered me back in June of this year. I have finally got a copy of his discharge papers I want to send you. This is concerning my uncle who was in the 474th Engineer Heavy Shop Company. The Unit departed from Los Angles on 10 March 1943 aboard the "Hermitage" and arrived in Basra, Iraq on 11 May 1943. The Unit was inactivated effective 9 Nov 1945. Maybe you can find more from his discharge papers. I cold not find anything on the ship. The only one with that name that I found operated in the South Pacific. I have your address as 2011 Richard Jones Road. Apt E-26. Nashville, TN 37215-2837. Thanks for your time and trouble. Also thank you and the others who take the time to do this so that people like me can about our relatives who served their country so faithfully.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, thank you for following through.  It is a pleasure to deal with someone that does so.
       In your follow-up you typed "I have finally got a copy of his discharge papers".  GREAT!!!  Were you able to obtain all four pages or only page two, the page with 57 numbered boxes?
       In your follow-up you typed "The Unit departed from Los Angeles.......Iraq on 11 May 1943."  May I ask for your source of what you have typed?
       In your follow-up you typed "I cold [sic] not find anything.......operated in the South Pacific."  I am sorry to read that you had difficulty obtaining facts about the USS Hermitage  AP-54.
       The address for me is correct.  Please be sure to include YOUR e-mail address for ease of response.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: This is a follow up to answer your questions. On the discharge papers I only have page two. On the Unit departure time. I received some papers from the U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center, U.S. Army History Institute, 950 Soldiers Drive, Carlisle, PA. 17013-5021. I am making copies of that also to send along with the discharge paper. I had brought up the USS Hermitage and it showed some of the places and dates she sailed, but I couldn't match the times she sailed from Los Angeles to Iraq. I hope these papers will help you and again thanks for your time.

Bill Diestelkamp

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  I am eager to receive from you via First Class U.S.P.S. photocopies of any & all documents about your uncle's service during WW 2.  Once I receive your mailing address & e-mail address I will share with you the FACTS I possess about the voyages of the USS Hermitage  AP-54 during WW 2.  I'm sure I do not have the FACTS about every voyage, but I do have FACTS about most of the voyages.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.