Military History/WWII Medals Bronze Stars

1st. Lt W.A.C. Alice I. Moomaw

served from September, 1943 until February, 1946

Separated in Des Moines, Iowa

under decorations and citations she was awarded:

A P Campaign Medal with 2 Bronze Service Stars, WW11 Victory Medal, American Campaign Medal, 2 Overseas Service Bars.

Under Battles and Campaigns: New Guinea WDGO 105-45 and the Philippines WDGO 105-45

Alice passed way recently. I am the American Legion service officer for her post here in Mexico. Her son would like me to find out how she eared the 2 bronze star medals. He is writing a story about his mothers time in the military during WWII and wants this information so he can include it.

Question why was she awarded these 2 bronze star medals? Or how do I find out?

Thank you,

It appears she received the Asiatic-Pacific Medal for serving in that theater of war. The 2 Bronze Stars are service stars (not with the V device for Valor), and were awarded for individual campaigns she took part in in the Pacific. In other words, for service during those campaigns, not for anything special she did other than serve then.

Here's the explanation in the Federal Code:

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America