Military History/396th Ordnance Battalion in Europe, WW 2

Question
I am researching Charles C. Osborne, who served with the 255th Ordnance (MM)Company in the June 1944 landing on Utah beach.  His obituary states, however, that he rose to the rank of major and commanded the 396th Ordnance Battalion in Europe.  I can find no information on the 396th Ordnance Battalion and Mr. Osborne's possible service with it.  Can you help me?

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "255th Ordnance (MM)Company".  The following are the FACTS I have obtained from printed sources as per the 255th Ordnance Medium Maintenance Company:

Based in Torquay, Great Britain on May 31, 1944

100 men & 54 vehicles landed across UTAH Beach on D + 3, Friday, June 9, 1944

68 men & 34 vehicles landed across UTAH Beach on D + 4, Saturday, June 10, 1944

CAMPAIGNS

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland         September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace   December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

Based at Montmartin-en-Graignes, France, July 24, 1944

Awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation for the period June 12-August 12, 1944.  General Order #55, HQ, U.S. First Army, awarded April 9, 1945.

Assigned [assigned] to VII Corps, First Army, mid August 1944 through May 8, 1945

Served with the Army of Occupation in Germany, May 2-September 29, 1945

In your question you typed "His obituary states".  What were the printed sources (Primary Source Documents, I hope?) for what was typed in the Veteran's "obituary"?  Who provided what was typed in the Veteran's "obituary"?  The reason for my request, obituaries are generally typed when everyone is, of course, emotional.  FACTS & emotions do NOT mix well.
       In your question you typed "commanded the 396th Ordnance Battalion".  Respectfully, I can find no FACTS that a "396th Ordnance Battalion" was activated by the US Military during WW 2.  May I ask, what is your source that a "396th Ordnance Battalion" was activated by the US Military during WW 2?
       In your question you typed "I can find no information on the 396th Ordnance Battalion".  Neither can I!
       In your question you typed "Can you help me?"  It would be my pleasure.  Let's start off with FACTS.  Would you be so kind as to photocopy the Veteran's Discharge Documents (I assume he was an officer, so WD AGO Form 53-96) then send the photocopies to me via First Class U.S.P.S.?  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Eagerly,
     Richard V. Horrell
      WW 2 Connections
       2011 Richard Jones Road
        Apt      E 26
         Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell