Military History/Bayonet or Dagger

full view
full view  

Marking on blade
Marking on blade  
The bayonet-dagger measures 14'' from the tip of the handle to the endpoint on the blade. The blade is 9.25 '' long. The markings appear to be of Yugoslavia manufacture.  The sheath is metal, has the same markings and number on it as the blade. The sheath also has a skull and cross bones near the top of the sheath. I'd like to find out its age and where it was possibly used.

This is a a modified rifle bayonet.  It is either a M1899C, M1924, or M1924b.  You are correct the blade is Yugoslavian for Mauser rifles.  These blades were made from 1921 to 1924.  Starting in 1939 many blades and Mauser rifles were upgraded to the M1924b standard.  Most likely the handle broke at some point and a new one was put on thus removing in the bayonet attachment.  

I have a included some links that will help and a link to a book that might help
Thank you  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.