Military History/Cannonball ?

Question
I have something I think is a half of a cannon ball I believe it is copper it is not magnetic and looks to have been burned melted it measures 3" across and I only have the half do you have any idea what it could be and what period it came from thank you

Answer
Bill:

Cannon balls were made of iron.  Brass and copper were too expensive top be used for projectiles.  Only some were hollow.

Most likely you have some kind of ornamental sphere that was caught in a house fire or something like that.

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

This table shows the diameter and weights of common standardized iron cannon shot.

Most common were the 6 and 12 pounder.  And again they would be iron.  

Military History

Keith H. Patton