Military History/Cannonball ?

I have something I think is a half of a cannon ball I believe it is copper it is not magnetic and looks to have been burned melted it measures 3" across and I only have the half do you have any idea what it could be and what period it came from thank you

Cannon balls were made of iron.  Brass and copper were too expensive top be used for projectiles.  Only some were hollow.

Most likely you have some kind of ornamental sphere that was caught in a house fire or something like that.

This table shows the diameter and weights of common standardized iron cannon shot.

Most common were the 6 and 12 pounder.  And again they would be iron.  

Military History

Keith H. Patton

I can answer questions pertaining to weapons and tactics, personalities, battles, and strategies in european and U.S. history.

I was a history major, and had done extensive research in the subject area. I have designed and tested numerous computer games for various
historical periods.

B.A History M.S. Science
I have had the opportunity to live abroad and walk numerous battlefields both in the United States, Europe, and the Pacific.