Military History/My father's name in WW 2 book "mission accomplished" 44th infantry divisionI

Question
mission accomplished 44th division
mission accomplished 4  
I would like to know if i can obtain his military records (were lost in 1973  National Archives fire) for medals received and rank so i may contact National Archives to correct his record and his grave marker.
He should be listed in "G" company 2nd battalion, 44th infantry 114th regiment AS Jack Haberstick

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My father's name in.......infantry divisionl[sic]"  I am quite familiar with the unit history of the 44th Infantry Division, as I own a copy.  My copy has seen better days, & I have suspected that it may be missing some pages.  Now my fear may be realized, as I am unable to find your father's name in my copy.  Would you be so kind as to share with me where in your copy your father's name appears, so that I may confirm, one way or another, where your father's name appears in my copy?
       In your question you typed "I would like to know if I can obtain his military records (were lost in 1973 National Archives fire) for medals received and rank so i [sic] may contact National Archives to correct his record and his grave marker."  With all due respect, if your father's "military records" were destroyed at the Military Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri in July 1973, how would you be able to "obtain his military records"?  There are no "military records" to obtain or correct.
       As to your father's "grave marker" the facts carved onto it were obtained from a copy of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) provided to the Funeral Home that handled your father's arrangements.  It was someone in your family that provided the Funeral Home with the copy of your father's Discharge Documents.  So my question to you is, are the Discharge Documents in error (unlikely in my opinion) or did the stone cutter make an error (likely in my opinion).  Have you access to a copy of your father's Discharge Documents?  Your father was provided with 6-10 copies when he was discharged.  If you do not have access, check with the Funeral Home that handled your father's arrangements.  If the stone cutter made an error, the error needs to be addressed.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell