Military History/Great Wall of China Information.

Dear Keith

The Distance between point a - starting point to b - ending point i.e. length is 2,232 km. Can people travel using Horses and Jeeps in the wall from point a to point b?. The wall road also looks wide enough.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

From my learned knowledge and some personal information (my sister is a Captain for Delta Airlines and flies to China often, you could not drive a vehicle on the wall.

The wall is considered a national treasure, and foot traffic only is allowed.  Some parts of the wall have been restored and are frequented by tourists.  There are a lot of steps on the wall, due to the variation of heights it crosses.  Some of the wall has not been restored and is in disrepair.  Some sections of the wall are actually trenches and natural barriers such as rivers.  Today most of the wall dates back to the Ming Dynasty.  The entire wall runs 14,000 miles.  But if you look at the maps it is obvious the some sections overlap others in some areas.  I should think you would have to go on foot, since the wall was in large part built to keep out invaders from Central Asia, and would not be hospitable to horses and certainly not vehicles.  You might be able to ride along side the wall but no on it.

Military History

Keith H. Patton

I can answer questions pertaining to weapons and tactics, personalities, battles, and strategies in european and U.S. history.

I was a history major, and had done extensive research in the subject area. I have designed and tested numerous computer games for various
historical periods.

B.A History M.S. Science
I have had the opportunity to live abroad and walk numerous battlefields both in the United States, Europe, and the Pacific.