Military History/War

First of all thank you for taking my question or questions. First I want to say I am a Operation Enduring Freedom Vet. So I'm not just speaking to hear my own voice. I wanna know why America hasn't won a war or conflict since WWII? Even though South Korea is free, we still have the North which is a loaded gun with a crazy man at the trigger. Vietnam....I don't even know where to begin here. Was it Communism or something more sinister that brought us there? The entire tactic of counting VC bodies instead of gaining and holding ground seems foolish. Training the south only to have them fail, does that sound familiar (Iraq)? Desert Storm we stopped short. Afghan is another Nam where the enemy will gain control when we leave. Iraq is the same deal as we see ISIS gain ground. What is our problem? Is it the politicians? Bad Generals? An uncaring American public? Sorry the question is so long.

Great questions. Historians have written books about all of them. I can only begin to hint at any kind of answer here.

I am a Vietnam War veteran and have studied that war and written it for decades. I still don't have all the answers, but as is the case with the other wars you named (except perhaps for trying to root out Al Queda in Afghanistan) I don't think any of those wars should have been fought. That's an oversimplification, but I believe it's true.

In Vietnam and the other wars, we were seen as invaders and those who fought against us saw themselves as fighting for their country in their homeland. We weren't "invading" and it was not "imperialism," but that's by and large how we were perceived. And that is one big reason why we didn't prevail in those wars.

Put the shoe on the other foot: How would you feel as an American if some superpower brought war to this country for whatever reason?

As I said, this just touches on some of the basic reasons. Hope it helps.

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America