Military History/WWI Big Bertha

Question
QUESTION: I heave a piggy bank shaped like Big Betha shell.
It has iron cross on it and several cities named on it.
"City of Romans"
Can you tell me where it is?

Thanks

ANSWER: The primary city of Romans would of course be Rome itself! But what that would have to do with Big Bertha I do not understand since the gun itself was never used there. Yes Italy was at war with Germany and Austria-Hungary during the 1st World War but this German Krupp designed & produced heavy artillery gun was as far as I know never used in Italy at least not close to Rome. What are the cities mentioned?

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

QUESTION: I messed up big time in my first question. I have 2 German piggy banks!
I know the Italian never had a Big Bertha, interesting though Russia did
I have a bronze with a granite bottom and a hallmarked Russian inscribed

It also says 1914 1915

in addition it says on the front Die fleissige
Bertha I always thought Bertha was spelled Berta in German

Camp Des Romains, Antwerpen, Maubeuge

Luttich, Longgwy, Namur, Givet

The second piggy bank says:

1914-1915-1916
camp desromains antwerpen luttich+longwy-Namur+maubeuge

below it says:warschau+kowno-nowo-georgiewsk-brest-litowsk-belgrad

I have othe big bertha piggy banks + much more Krupp items

Thanks

Answer
The Russian ones are probably conquered artillery pieces though I can not completely exclude that Imperial Russia  bought some from Krupp in Germany. The name of the gun is inspired by the name of either Krupp's wife or his daughter I do not remember which. Big, in German grosse, refers to how big the gun was.
The names listed on the shells refer to the cities and places where the gun has been operating in WW1. Camp des Romains is the ruins of an old Roman war camp, then you have Antwerp (Antwerpen in Dutch & German). The rest of the places are mostly in northern France & in Belgium. Antwerp is also in Belgium. One place Luttich may be in eastern Germany or Poland. Camp des Romains is probably close to Antwerp. So those names are located on the western front mostly. On the second list you have also a number of names on the eastern front. Warschau is Warsaw. Kowno, Novo Georgievsk, Brest Litowsk are places in Poland or Russia. Belgrad is Belgrade in Serbia. All on the eastern front. I do hope that explains it!

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.