Military History/11th Airforce

Question
Hello Mr. Sutton,

I am looking for accurate information concerning squadrons that were stationed in Alaska Canada, the Pacific Northwest and the Aleutian Islands (part of the Alaska Territory at the time) between June 3rd and June 17th 1942. Of primary interest are which type aircraft were flown by the squadron, how many of each aircraft were available to them and which airfields were they assigned to. I am only interested in the units or elements of units which were stationed in Alaska, Canada, the Pacific Northwest during the dates mentioned.

Fleet Air Wing Four (ComPatWing 4)

The 11th Air Force:
-Detachment 36th Bomber Squadron (heavy) [perhaps under the 28th Command Group?]
-Detachment 36th Bomber Squadron (heavy) "Old Seventy" [perhaps under the 28th Command Group?]
-73rd Bomber Squadron (medium) [perhaps under the 28th Command Group?]
-77th Bomber Squadron (medium) [perhaps under the 28th Command Group?]
-404th Bomber

-11th Fighter Squadron
-12th Fighter Squadron
-18th Fighter Squadron
-42nd Fighter Squadron under the 54th Fighter Group
-56th Fighter Squadron
-57th Fighter Squadron

-no. 4 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron RCAF
-no. 6 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron RCAF
-no. 7 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron RCAF
-no. 8 Squadron RCAF
-no. 442 Squadron RCAF

If you notice any squadrons that served that I missed or if a squadron is erroneously included and did not serve during the stated period please let me know.

The information that I found on the internet about these squadrons was often contradictory.

I would appreciate any information that you could glean for me.

Best Regards,

-Mark

Answer
Greetings
According to my research

The 36th flew B-17E models in Alaska.  The numbered varied between 12 and 16 planes depending on accidents, combat usage and weather factors.

The 73rd Flew at First B-18s until 1942 and used B-26s in 1942 and in 1943 moved to B-25s.  Again numbers went up and down but between 12 to 16 were in a squadron

The 77th flew B-18 in1941, then in1942-1943; the B-26, and in1943 the B-25.  Again numbers varied from 12 to 16 planes

The 404th flew B-24D models and about 16 aircraft on average

The 11th flew P-40s in 1942 then P-38s in 1943. Numbers varied but between 25 to 30 aircraft

The 12th flew P-40s, P-39s in 1942, not sure of excapt date of change, and P-38s starting in 1943.  About 25 to 30 aircraft

The 18th Fighter Squadron Flew P-39s in the time frame you wanted.  25 to 30 aircraft in the squadron

The 42nd Fighter Squadron flew P-39s and had 25 to 30 aircraft.

The 56th Fighter Squadron flew P-39s and had 25 to 30 aircraft.

The 57th Fighter Squadron flew P-39s and had 25 to 30 aircraft.

The no. 4 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron RCAF flew Consolidated PBY Catalinas but the candian built model call the Canso; they flew 6 to 12 aircraft in a squadron

The no. 6 bomber Reconnaissance Squadron RCAF flew Consolidated PBY Catalinas but the candian built model call the Canso; they flew 6 to 12 aircraft in a squadron

The no. 7 Bomber Reconnaissance Squadron RCAF flew Consolidated PBY Catalinas but the candian built model call the Canso ; they flew 6 to 12 aircraft in a squadron

The no. 8 Squadron RCAF flew the Bristol Bolingbroke and had 6 to 12 aircraft operational a that time.

The no. 442 Squadron RCAF Flew Curtis Kittyhawks and had 12 aircraft.

I wish had except numbers of aircraft on the days in question but it varied.  I have included some website and a Air Force history site that might have the exact data you seek.  Also check out the book “The Aleutian Warriors: A History of the 11th Air Force & Fleet Air Wing”.  I do not have this book in m y collection but it has been highly rated.

I hope this helps and Thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Aleutian-Warriors-History-Force/dp/0929521358

http://www.afhso.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-101202-002.pdf

http://www.afhra.af.mil/

Military History

Paul Sutton