Military History/148th Engineer Combat Battalion

Question
My father died in 1982 but served in the 148th CEB in Europe.  He once told me he helped build the bridge at Ramagen.  He never told me anything else about his war experience.  He must have gotten wounded, because he had a nasty scar on his upper lip and received a government check for it until he died.  Can you help me with any of his records?  Company, job, battles and any awards he or the unit won?
Thank you for your help
John Foster Leach

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "He once told me he helped build the bridge at Ramagen [sic]."  At least nine bridges were built by U.S. Military in the vicinity of Remagen, Germany during March-May 1945.  However, since you have specified the 148th Engineer Combat Battalion, I will type about the bridge the 148th built & no other bridge.
       The 148th Engineer Combat Battalion, commanded by Lt. Colonel William Irby, constructed a 1,258 long Class 40 Floating Bailey Bridge downstream (north, the Rhine River flows south to north) of the collapsed Ludendorff Railroad Bridge.  Construction of the Class 40 Floating Bailey Bridge began at 7:30am on Sunday, March 18, 1945 & was completed at 7:15am on Tuesday, March 20, 1945, 24 hours earlier than was anticipated by U.S. First Army.  The 148th Engineer Combat Battalion was assigned [assigned] to the 1110th Engineer Combat Group.
       In your question you typed "He must have gotten wounded, because he had a nasty scar on his upper lip".  I suggest you check the FACTS typed in Box #34 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents, WD AGO Form 53-55.
       In your question you typed "Can you help me with any of his records?"  No.  It is illegal for me to attempt to obtain another individuals Personnel File.  You may attempt to obtain your father's "records".  The address to send your letter-of-request to is:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
 St. Louis   MO   63138

In your question you typed "Company".  I do not know.
       In your question you typed "job".  I suggest you check the FACTS typed in Box #30 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents, WD AGO Form 53-55.
       In your question you typed "battles".  May I suggest you obtain a copy of the 148th Engineer Combat Battalion unit history, "History of the 148th Engineer Combat Battalion" by Paul A. Loomis.
       In your question you typed "any awards he or the unit won?"  I cannot type about your father, since I do not have a copy of his WD AGO Form  53-55 on my desk to refer to.  You have a copy of your father's WD AGO Form  53-55 to refer to, it would be Box #33.  The 148th Engineer Combat Battalion was not awarded a Presidential Unit Citation nor a Meritorious Unit Commendation.
       As to the Troop Ship that transported the 148th overseas:

Departure Date:   October 8, 1943
Departure Location:   Boston Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Santa Elena
Arrival Date:   October 17, 1943
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell