Military History/29th Div crossing New York to Scotland

Question
According to its Unit history, the 121st Engineer Combat Battalion left New York on the RMS Queen Elizabeth on 4th October 1942 arriving Gourock Scotland on 9th October. However, RMS Queen Mary records indicate that it took the whole 29th Division, crossing New York to Gourock around the same time. That voyage is notable by the ship's collision with HMS Curacoa on 2nd October off the coast of Ireland, catastrophic for the warship. My interest is in the 121st Engineer Combat Battalion, specifically B Company. Can you please confirm which liner they used to cross the Atlantic?

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question, I hope you had a pleasant Boxing Day last Friday.
       May we start with the FACTS as per the two voyages in question?

Departure Date:   September 27, 1942
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Arrival Date:   October 2, 1942
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Departure Date:   October 5, 1942
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Elizabeth
Arrival Date:   October 11, 1942
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

From my sources, the 116th Infantry Regiment, Virginia National Guard (National Guard>rather like your Territorial Units) was onboard the RMS Queen Mary.  The rest of the 29th Infantry Division, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania & District of Columbia National Guard were onboard the RMS Queen Elizabeth.  Simple enough answer, the 121st Engineer Combat Battalion, District of Columbia National Guard was onboard the RMS Queen Elizabeth.  However, nothing is ever simple.
       On page 13 of the unit history of the 29th Infantry Division

29 Let's Go!
A History of the 29th Infantry Division in World War II
by Joseph H. Ewing
Washington, DC        Infantry Journal Press        1948

"Approximately one third of the Division, including the 116th Combat Team.......and filed up the gangplank of the Queen Mary.  On the morning of September 27 this great liner slid downstream past Manhattan's towers and then headed into the Atlantic."  The key phrase is "Combat Team".
       I am sure you know what a Regimental "Combat Team" was in the US Army during WW 2.  So approximately one third of the 121st Engineer Combat Battalion could have been onboard the RMS Queen Mary, while the HQ, 121st Engineer Combat Battalion WAS onboard the RMS Queen Elizabeth.  That one third may well have been your "B Company".
       My sincerest apology for not providing you with the FACTS you desire.  May I suggst you continue your research by contacting:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013
     USA

This facility has an EXCELLENT staff, just the sort to deal with the specific question you have.  
       Good Luck with your quest.  Please let me know of the FACTS you obtain.  I would add a hand written note in my copy of the unit history of the 29th Infantry Division.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837
         USA

Military History

Richard V. Horrell