Military History/633 AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion, Company D

Question
QUESTION: sir

my question involves my fathers length of service in the war. according to some serviceman the 633rd landed in Normandy on June 6. all records that I have seen indicate that they landed august 8th. my father has passed so I cant ask him. his discharge papers do not give a date. just the campaigns he fought in. he had he commanded a carrier with twin 50 mm guns. any info you can give me will be most helpful

thank - you  Grant w quale  III

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "my question involves my fathers length of service".  That's easy enough, refer to Box #22, #23, #24 & #7 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents, WD AGO Form 53-55.
       In your question you typed "according to some servicemen the 633rd landed in Normandy on June 6."  Who are these "servicemen"?  What is their association/connection with the "633rd"?  What is their source for FACTS about the "633rd"?  According to my source for FACTS:

First United States Army Report of Operations
20 October 1943 - 1 August 1944
 Annex No. 3 to 11
  Book V
   Page 280

the 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion "landed in Normandy" on D+13, Monday, June 19, 1944.  
       In your question you typed "all records that I have seen indicate that they landed august 8th."  Would you be so kind as to indicate those "records"?  The 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons was attached [attached] to the 80th Infantry Division on August 9, 1944 through May 13, 1945.
       In your question you typed "his discharge papers do not give a date".  May I ask for your source of these "discharge papers"?  
       In your question you typed "just the campaigns he fought in."  And those Campaigns are?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections    

QUESTION: in reply to your answer. the serviceman who landed on june 6th was a man named don schoo.

I looked up my fathers discharge document and got all pertinent facts concerning time of service and campaigns he took part in.

the records I looked up were the official records of the 80th infantry division which my fathers unit was assigned to.

I also looked up ted janes big red one website which lists pattons 3rd army and the units assigned to it. that is where I found the discrepancies on when the 633 aaa aw battalion first reached the front.i am jut looking for the correct date and any other info you have on my fathers unit

thank you  grant w quale 111

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "the serviceman who landed on june 6th was a man named don schoo."  So the "servicemen" is one individual?  Who/what is Mr. Schoo?  What unit was Mr. Schoo assigned to?  How many years (decades) after May 8th, 1945 was Mr. Schoo asked questions about "the 633rd landed in Normandy on June 6"?
       In your follow-up you typed "I looked up my fathers discharge documents and got all pertinent facts".  I do not understand your phrase "looked up".  It is as if you had some source to refer to.  Have you a copy of your father's Discharge Documents in hand, to refer to at any time?
       In your follow-up you typed "my fathers unit was assigned to."  The 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion was attached [attached] to the 80th Infantry Division, August 9, 1944-May 13, 1945.
       In your follow-up you typed "I also looked up ted.......first reached the front."  The internet is filled with information, placed there by anyone who cares to type.  The internet has no editors to check for factual content.  Books have editors, to check for factual content.  If people want information, the internet is a good source for information.  If people want facts, books are THE best source for FACTS!!!  Why my responses at AllExperts are FACT based, from printed sources, & a Primary Source if possible!
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell