Military History/73rd Ordnance Company D - TF6814

Question
What can you tell me about the 73rd Ordnance when they reached the Northern Solomon Campaign? My grandfather Anthony Lucarelli was part of the 73rd.

Thank you,

Chris Bianchi

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "TF6814".  I am assuming (something I am LOATHED to do) that you are refering to Task Force 6814, which untimately became the Americal Division.  Task Force 6814 arrived at Melbourne, Australia, February 25, 1942.
       In your question you typed "the 73rd Ordnance when they reached the Northern Solomon [sic] Campaign?"  Again, I am assuming that you are refering to the 73rd Ordnance Battalion.  The Northern Solomons Campaign was fought February 22, 1943-November 21, 1944.  However, the 73rd Ordnance Battalion did not participate in the Northern Solomons Campaign.  The 73rd Ordnance Battalion did not serve in the P.T.O. (Pacific Theater of Operation), but the M.T.O. (Mediterranean Theater of Operation) assigned [assigned] to Fifth Army.

CAMPAIGNS

Rome-Arno          January 22-September 9, 1944
North Apennines    September 10, 1944-April 4, 1945
Po Valley          April 5-May 8, 1945

May I ask, what is your source for the units, campaigns, dates & locations typed in your question?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell