Military History/lost

Question
QUESTION: Sir, I have been searching for any information  on my grandfather for so long and have become frustrated,  his name was George A Bamberg,  army serial no. 36131667 box 4 on discharge paper statesDEML, box 6 "ororganization" is Hq Co Base T, box 30 is military policeman, box 31 is combat infantryman badge Go 13, he fought in Papuan, New Guinea, Southern Philippines,  his social security number was 362-09-1233,  date of induction was 28 Oct 41, date of separation was 15 Oct 45, any help you could give me would mean so much,  I lost him in 95 and just found some papers a couple years ago, he entered the service in Detroit so I thought the 32nd but he's listed in Australia in the 163rd but iv hit a dead end, again ANY help would mean SO. Much, thank you, Chris

ANSWER: Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "box 6.......Base T".  The unit listed in Box #6 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form  53-55) is the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to when he was discharged from the US Army October 15, 1945.  In this context, is is NOT the unit he was assigned [assigned] to prior to September 2, 1945.
       In your question you typed "box 30 is military policemen".  We also know that your grandfather's M.O.S. (Military Occupational Specialty) was a Military Policemen on October 15, 1945.
       In your question you typed "box 31 is combat infantryman badge".  We also know that your grandfather served in combat as an Infantryman prior to September 2, 1945.
       In your question you typed "he fought in Papuan, New Guinea, Southern Philippines".  As typed in Box #32, your grandfather served in the following Campaigns:

Papua          July 23, 1942-January 23, 1943
New Guinea          January 24, 1943-December 31, 1944
Southern Philippines   February 27-July 4, 1945
       In your question you typed "his.......XXXX".  Respectfully, NEVER include someone's S.S.N. in an e-mail.  E-mails are an un-secure form of communication.  From my decades of research, said number is of no use what-so-ever when researching the WW 2 era.
       In your question you typed "he's listed in Australia in the 163rd".  Respectfully, which "163rd" that served in the P.T.O.?

163rd AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion
163rd Field Artillery Battalion
163rd Infantry Regiment
163rd Language Detachment
163rd Military Police Company
163rd Ordnance Company
163rd Port Company

Also, please provide your source for the list you typed of?
       Have you access to page three & page four of your grandfather's Discharge Documents?  Have you access to any of your grandfather's wartime correspondence?  We do not need the letters, but the envelopes.  Please provide me with ALL THE DATES typed on Box #36 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents.
       You are welcome to photocopy your grandfather's Discharge Documents, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: MR Horrell, thank you for responding, I only have the one page, ill send you a copy, is there any way to find out what company he was in? 32nd, 163rd, or unit? or what DEML means? So base T and MP were after he left. The pacific? In box 36 it says 19 Mar 42 PTO 10 Apr 42 / 17 Nov 44 usa 1 Dec 44 /  20 Jan 45 PTO 3 Feb 45 / 2 Sept 45 usa 26 Sept 45, after good conduct medal it says Par 24 GO 83 Fort, does that mean something? At the bottom of the page it says ASR score (2 sept. 45) 94, also sheridan 1612 SCU 45 Dist Unit Badge GO 10 HQ BS # 3 44, does that mean anything?there are 57 boxes on this page are there more pages? Thank you for your help sir, Chris

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "32nd".  Which "32nd" that served in the P.T.O.?

32nd AAA Brigade
32nd Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop
32nd Depot Repair Squadron
32nd Infantry Regiment
32nd Malaria Survey Unit
32nd Ordnance Company
32nd Quartermaster Company
32nd Signal Company

In your follow-up you typed "163rd".  As per my first reply, which "163rd" that served in the P.T.O. do you continue to refer to?
       In your follow-up you typed "or unit?"  That is what is trying to be determined, based upon the FACTS in your possession, FACTS I do NOT have before me upon my desk to research from.
       In your follow-up you typed "what DEML means?"  Detached Enlisted Mens List.
       In your follow-up you typed "So base T and MP were after he left."  Respectfully, "left" what?
       In your follow-up you typed "The pacific?"  Yes, your grandfather served in "The pacific" or P.T.O., the Pacific Theater of Operation.
       In your follow-up you typed "19 Mar 42 PTO 10 Apr 42".  From the San Francisco Port of Embarkation on March 19, 1942, the RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS Mariposa & SS President Coolidge departed.  Onboard each troop ship were elements of the 41st Infantry Division (Washington State, Oregon, Idaho & Montana National Guard) as well as other non-divisional units (units NOT assigned [assigned] to the 41st Infantry Division).
       In your follow-up you typed "17 Nov 44 usa 1 Dec 44".  I do not have any FACTS to share with you, based upon the dates you typed.
       In your follow-up you typed "20 Jan 45 PTO 3 Feb 45".  

Departure Date:   January 20, 1945
Departure Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Monterey
Arrival Date:   February 4, 1945
Arrival Location:   Finschhafen, New Guinea

In your follow-up you typed "2 Sept 45 usa 26 Sept 45".  

Departure Date:   September 2, 1945
Departure Location:   Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands
Troop Ship:   SS Brazil
Arrival Date:   September 26, 1945
Arrival Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation
    via Tacloban, Leyte, Philippine Islands & Ulithi Atoll

In your follow-up you typed "after good conduct medal it says Par 24 GO 83 Fort, does that mean something?"  Yes, it means that as per General Order #83 at Fort __?__?__, your grandfather was awarded a Good Conduct Medal.  Too bad it was at Fort __?__?__!  The location, a FACT, is always nice to research with.
       In your follow-up you typed "At the bottom of the page it says ASR score (2 sept. 45) 94".  Your grandfather's Adjusted Service Rating Score was 94.  He needed 85 to be discharged.
       In your follow-up you typed "Dist Unit Badge GO 10 HQ BS #3 44, does that mean anything?"  Yes, it means that as per General Order #10 from Headquarters, B__?__?__ S__?__?__ #3 in 1944, the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to was awarded a Distinguished Unit Badge.  Since the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to received the badge, your grandfather received the badge.
       In your follow-up you typed "there are 57 boxes on this page are there more pages?"  You have page two, there is also page three & page four.  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell