Military History/motor ambulance company

Question
So glad I found this site. Looking for information about my great uncle's 479th Motor Ambulance Co. That number does not seem to be in any military list. He served late 1944. Can you direct me? That number is on his separation papers.  All the history books have been moved from Ft Knox!!!    Thank you very much.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "Looking for information about my great uncle's 479th Motor Ambulance Co."  I will be my pleasure to share with you FACTS about the 479th Ambulance Company (Medical) (Motorized).  The 479th participated in four Campaigns in the ETO, 1944-45:

Northern France        July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace        December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe         March 22-May 8, 1945

What Campaigns are listed in Box #32 on page two of your great uncle's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Assigned [assigned] to the 134th Medical Group, V Corps, First Army, the 479th served in the Army of Occupation in Germany, May 2-July 5, 1945.  All the FACTS I just typed were obtained from printed sources within my own library, here in our apartment.  The internet was NOT utilized.
       In your question you typed "That number does no seem to be in any military list."  From the list of Medical Units assigned [assigned] to the First Army 1943-45 is where I located 479th Ambulance Company (Medical) (Motorized).  
       In your question you typed "He served late 1944."  Box #22, #24 & #7 on page two of WD AGO Form 53-55 will provide the dates of your great uncle's service in the US Army.
       In your question you typed "Can you direct me?"  Respectfully, direct you to what?
       In your question you typed "That number is on his separation papers."  If you are refering to Box #6 on page two of your great uncle's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) the unit listed in Box #6 on page two is the unit your great uncle was assigned [assigned] to at the time he was discharged (Box #7).  Sometimes the unit listed was the unit the Veteran was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945, sometimes not!  Would you be so kind as to share with me ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your great uncle's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?  
       In your question you typed "All the history books have been moved from Ft Knox!!!"  EVERY history book from the ENTIRE post?  So the shelves at the Patton Museum Library & Archives are empty?  Interesting.  On who's instruction were all the history books moved from Fort Knox?  Where were said history books relocated to?  So when the students at the Fort Knox post grammar school visit the school library, the shelves are empty where history books use to be?  As you have typed "All the history books have been moved from Ft Knox!!!"
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell