Military History/Draft in 1964

Question
The following questions pertain to the U.S. military draft in 1964. In a typical situation, how much time did a young man have between receiving his draft notice and having to report for his physical? And, if he passed the physical, how much time did he have (on average) before he was required to report for basic training? In other words, how much time did he have to say goodbye to family. Thanks.

Answer
It was a matter of weeks that you had to report after getting your draft notice during the Vietnam War. As for physicals, it varied.

In my case (I was drafted on July 11, 1967), I had my physical the day I reported for induction. I passed and, along with maybe 30 other guys, that afternoon took the oath and was in the Army.

In other cases, men who eventually got drafted took their physicals before receiving their draft notices--for example, if they attempted to join the military to avoid the draft, which did not guarantee you a job, and then didn't get in to the Air Force or Navy or National Guard.

In my case, which was the case with the overwhelming majority of draftees, you said goodbye after getting the draft notice but before you reported for induction, probably two weeks on average.  

Military History

Marc Leepson