Military History/marine raider/Canadian stiletto

marine raider and sheath
marine raider and shea  
Hello Michael,
I have what I believe(through internet searches)to be a marine raider or Canadian paratrooper stiletto which was amongst some items given to my wife by her uncle, who served in the British navy during WW2.
My question is, are there ways of checking it's authenticity as it has no markings but is in quite good order, apparently, for this type of weapon.
Sorry to sound a little vague about it but perhaps you can shed some light.
Many thanks
Dave R (uk)

Hi, what you have is what they call the "Marine Raider knife". The easiest way to tell is the cast pewter handle and a scrolling "Camillus USMC" on the blade. It looks like the blade was blued way back when or has a dark patina to it from sheath storage. The Fairbairn series of knives will have a cast bronze or brass handle, pommel nut and come in several differing varieties, first, second and third patterns, all with differing blade styles, handle styles and guard styles. Each one is different in manufacture as they are in price. The sheath you have with the knife is also consistent with a "Marine Raider" knife as it closely resembles an M6 Paratrooper knife sheath. Fairbairn sheaths are entirely different all together. Very nice knife though, take care not to expose the handle to any cleaning solutions and store it properly to avoid breakdown and cracking of the pewter handle.

Military History

Michael O'Reagan

I can Identify unit insignia, patches, pins, medals, weapons and accessories from US and other countries and eras to Revolutionary War to current.

I have been a military dealer and appraiser for 15 years in Massachusetts.

Self studied novice in all areas of history, firearms, foreign language. Professional Fire Fighter

none but I pat myself on the back quite frequently.

All clients are confidential although I work with many antique dealers across the country, have an established eBay business for 15 years, participate in militaria shows from Louisville to Maine.