Military History/Troop Transport 1944

Question
QUESTION: Hello.  I have a document with its source from the National Archives (TNA) located in Kew, England that says a ship, carrying troops, left NY on May 21, 1944:

Robin Sherwood ......destination "Belfast f.o. (Cardiff)"

Surprise (a reefer).....destination of "Belfast f.o. (Liverpool)"

On that day, most troop ships went to Liverpool. Do you know what "f.o." may mean?

Did the Robin Sherwood go to Cardiff with the ultimate destination of Belfast or vice versa?

Is it correct that troop passenger lists were destroyed?  Why would that be?

Thank you very much.

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I have a document with.......NY on May 21, 1944:".  I agree, Convoy CU-25.
       In your question you typed "On that day, most troop ships went to Liverpool."  I agree, most ships that were a part of CU-25 docked at Liverpool.  The SS Robin Sherwood & Surprise arrived at Belfast.
       In your question you typed "Did the Robin Sherwood go to Cardiff with the ultimate destination of Belfast".  Yes.
       In your question you typed "Is it correct that troop passenger lists were destroyed?"  That is my understanding.  I have only been told that the troop ship manifests were destroyed in the late 1940's & early 1950's, have never seen it in print.
       In your question you typed "Why would that be?"  Again, only hearing about such a destruction & never seeing it in print, others have only speculated.  One theory is that it had to do with liability.  Some voyages were quite bad, with people becoming sick & injured for life.  Since I have no FACTS to work with as to why, I spend little time trying to understand.  The FACT is, it no longer exists, so I am trying to compile my own.  So far over 9,200 entries, all based upon printed documents (FACTS).
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Thank you very much! I have another question from Form 52A Medical Department, a copy received from St. Louis.  Since my father entered the military on March 6, 1942, this seems to be from May 1944.  I welcome your knowledge on the top line, line 6, and line 7.  Thank you for your efforts.

(written on top of form          8469  Repl
1.  can not read  
2. Last name          Endres
3. First name and middle initial         Alfred N
4. A.S. No.          36237118
5. Grade          Pfc
6. Company          E-4
7. Regiment and Arm or Service          1st Regt
8. Age          26
9. Race          W
10. Nativity          Wisc
11. Service          2   2/12  
12. Date of admission          can not be read
13. Source of admission          seems to be empty
14. Register numbers or hospital
      memoranda:          Shoes do not fit properly. note to CO. to have shoes changed

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Since I do not have the Primary Source Document before me to place all these facts in context, I will do my best.

"8469 Repl" = the 8469th Replacement _?_?_?_.  There is a word after "Repl" that would indicate the unit, i.e. Brigade, Group, Division, etc.

"E-4" = Company E, 4th Platoon.

"1st Regt" = 1st Regiment.

During WW 2, the following are the words used to describe specific units in the US Army.  The list is from the smallest quantity of personnel to largest.  Squad, Platoon, Company, Battalion, Regiment, Brigade, Division, Corps, Army, Army Group.  Also, the word Group (not as in Army Group) would be found either between Regiment & Brigade or Brigade & Division.  Of course, with anything to do with History, there are exceptions!  LOL
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: I have no idea where I would be able to have my questions answered if not for you. Thank you.

1.  From my previous question, there was nothing written following REPL, but line #1 seems to have been covered in some way or not filled in.  Is there a location or more info for 8469 REPL/1st Regt/E-4 without knowing the brigade/group/division?

2.  Where would a ration card for APO 15325 been issued/signed for the week of June 12-18th?

3. A soldier arrived in the ETO June 2nd with an APO of 15032 and received a bronze arrowhead with the 116th/29th.  Where may he have connected with the 116th between June 2nd and 6th?

4.  Does APO 67 indicate a particular group/purpose?

5.  Is there any way to  know where the 9th Regt/2nd Div boarded ships to assault the beaches on D-Day plus 1?

As always, thank you.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, THANK YOU for numbering each question.  Sure makes it easier for me.  

1)   The simple answer is no.  This is a gray area that so many people like yourself would like to obtain FACTS about.  No one seems to be able to find the location of those records, IF the records still exist.

2)   I am assuming (something I am loathed to do) "June 12-18th" is for 1944.  APO 15325 was assigned to 1st BPO (British Post Office OR Base Post Office) in England & opened May 13, 1944.

3)   APO 15032 was to handle the overflow of APO 874.  APO 874 was assigned to the E.T.O. Replacement Depot, 10th Replacement Pool, Whittington Barracks, Lichfield, England.

4)   Delamere Park, Cuddington, Northwich, Cheshire, England.

5)   A new unit.  COOL!!!  You are keeping me on all nine toes.  LOL  Swansea, Wales.

I am not sure if AllExperts will let my e-mail address go through.  Since you seem to have a plethora of questions, you may wish to try to contact me at     www.WW2Connections@aol.com
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell