Military History/Vietnam war

Question
Dear sir,

USA have sent total around 500.00 soldiers to Vietnam, if I am right. Some of this people lost their ability to work because they were wounded or lost some part of body or because from PTSP or Vietnam sindrom.
When this people come back home, did USA take care about them by giving them pension? If so, what is the number of these people?

So, question is : do you know number of people who get this type of pension?

Best regards,

Goran

Answer
The total number of American troops who took part in the war in Vietnam was 2.8 million.

Every U.S. veteran who is injured in the line of duty (including emotional trauma such as PTSD), is eligible for compensation (not a pension) from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

This web site explains what are called service-connected disabilities: http://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets.asp

I'm sure the VA has a number for Vietnam veterans receiving these benefits. I haven't been able to find it, but my guess that it is in the tens of thousands.

Military History

Marc Leepson