Military History/WW 2 Discharge Papers

Question
QUESTION: In my great grandfathers discharge papers it states under battles and campaigns GO 33 & 40 WD 45 Northern Appennines PO Valley.  What does this mean?

Under decorations and citations Good Conduct Medal European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 2 Bronze Stars Victory Ribbon World War II.

It also says he was in the 473RD INF.  I have not been able to find any information about the 473rd.

I also have a picture of him with his platoon and under the picture it says:
Wire Platoon C. Co. 15th Bn.
Platoon Leader
Lt. Weed
Platton Sargeant
Sgt. Rohan

Any help you can give me would be great.  Thank you so much!

Shannon

ANSWER: Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "In my great grandfathers discharge.......What does it mean?"  It means that the Veteran participated in the following Campaigns while in Italy during WW 2.

North Apennines     September 10, 1944-April 4, 1945
Po Valley          April 5-May 8, 1945

By the way, these are the same two Campaign Credits that the 473rd Infantry Regiment earned during WW 2.
       In your question you typed "Under decorations and citations Good.......Victory Ribbon World War II".  It means that the Veteran, because of his service during WW 2, was awarded a "Good Conduct Medal" a "European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal" with two Bronze Campaign Stars attached to the ribbon portion of the medal.  Please note that a "Bronze Campaign Star" has nothing to do, in any way, shape or form, with a Bronze Star Medal for Valour.  The Veteran was also awarded a World War 2 Victory Ribbon.
       In your question you typed "It also says he was in the 473RD INF."  Is that the unit listed in Box #6 on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents?  If so, that is the unit the Veteran was assigned to when he was discharged from the US Army. It may or may not have been the unit the Veteran was assigned to prior to May 8, 1945.
       In your question you typed "I have not been able to find any information about the 473rd."  The following are sources for FACTS about the 473rd Infantry Regiment during WW 2.

Battle History 473rd United States Infantry, World War II
by Jack F. Ramsberger
Italy         ________________        1945

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A Fragment of Victory
by Paul Goodman
Nashville, Tennessee        The Battery Press        1993

United States Army In World War II
Special Studies
 The Employment of Negro Troops
by Ulysses Lee
Washington, DC        Center of Military History, US Army        2000

From Salerno to the Alps
by Chester A. Starr
Washington, DC        Infantry Journal Press        1948

United States Army In World War II
The Mediterranean Theater of Operations
 Cassino To The Alps
By Ernest F. Fisher, Jr.
Washington, DC        Center of Military History, US Army        1977

May I ask, where/what sources did you attempt to utilize for "information" about the 473rd Infantry Regiment?
       In your question you typed "I also have a picture........under the picture it says:"  Unfortunately, I have no FACTS to share with you about the photograph you describe.
       If you care to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents, I may be able to provide you with additional FACTS about the Veteran's role in WW 2.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections   

QUESTION: Thank you very much for the information you provided!

Yes, box 6 says 473RD Inf.  How do I find out what unit he was in?

In box #36

Date of Departure 11 Oct 44 -- Destination Italy -- Date of Arrival 6 Nov 44
Date of Departure 9 Aug 45 -- Destination US -- Date of Arrival 15 Aug 45

In his discharge papers it also states that he was a Field Lineman.

Thank you again fro all of the information!!

Shannon

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "How do I find out what unit he was in?"  I suggest you read "Black History 473rd United States Infantry, World War II".  Most unit histories have a list of those assigned to the unit.
       As to the October-November 1944 dates, Convoy UGS-57 reads to be the convoy in question.  Convoy UGS-57 had 96 merchant (cargo) ships, with no Troop Ships.  However, often 75-100 soldiers would be squeezed onto one of the merchant (cargo) ships.
       As to the August 1945 dates, I could find no entry.  Of course there was a troop ship voyage, I just have no FACTS about the troop ship to share with you.  On observation, a troop ship taking only six days to sail from the Mediterranean Theater of Operation to the east coast of the USA is a VERY short time.  Few troop ships could sail that quickly.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell