Military History/WWII volunteers

I read where immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor that military recruitment centers swelled with volunteers. Would an 18-year-old have been accepted at that time?

Yes and No.

Yes, 18-year-olds could enlist.

No, because logistically, there is no way the Navy training pipeline could handle the large influx of volunteers.  Most who showed up were told to go home and wait.

That was the main reason for the draft in WWII - not to get the numbers of men needed, but to efficiently handle and distribute those numbers.

Military History

Retired US Navy, stationed 10 years in Hawaii. Study of the early years of the Pacific War 1941-42, including the attack on Pearl Harbor. Easy access to actual sites in and around Pearl Harbor. More limited knowledge of general WWII history in the Pacific.

I'm well-read in general WWII history, and spent a lot of off time exploring various military sites on O'ahu.

I hold a B.A degree from Chaminade University of Honolulu in Historical and Political Studies, Summa cum Laude, earned in 2002.