Military History/1886th Engineer Aviation Battalion

Question
Mr. Horrell, I am researching my Dad's military history and have some information relative to his duties with the 1886th EAB. Would you have the name of the troop ship on which he deployed from Seattle? I believe it would be at the same time the 1885th deployed in 1944. I am searching for 1886th pictures but have found none. Would I be excited to see one like that posted of the 1885th. Thanks in advance for your work.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       In your question you typed "Would you have the name of the troop ship on which he deployed from Seattle?"  Yes.

Departure Date:   September 21, 1944
Departure Location:   Seattle Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USS General J.H. McRae  AP-149
Unit Onboard:   1886th Engineer Aviation Battalion
Arrival Date:   September 28, 1944
Arrival Location:   Pearl Harbor

In your question you typed "I believe it would be at the same time the 1885th deployed in 1944."  Please note the following:

Departure Date:   June 8, 1944
Troop Ship:   SS Mexico
Unit Onboard:   1885th Engineer Aviation Battalion
Arrival Date:   June 17, 1944
Arrival Location:   Pearl Harbor

As to a photograph of the 1886th Engineer Aviation Battalion, I cannot help you there.  However, there was a unit history put together (I did NOT type published) in 1945.  After V-E Day, many units put together a unit history of sorts.  Usually mimeographed & stapled together, certainly not formal at all but better than nothing.  Where a copy may be, I have no idea.  The following are locations you may wish to contact:

Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri (where the US Army trains Engineer Troops today.  Many unit records are at that location)

The Nimitz Center, Fredericksburg, Texas (if it has to do with the P.T.O., they deal with it.  QUITE user-friendly)

Library of Congress

National Archives

U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center

When you contact there entities & they indicate they are unable to assist you, ask each of them for their suggestion of who/where to contact next.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell