Military History/Elihu Thomson Liberty Ship

I am researching the loss of 20 members of the 133rd MP Platoon on 26 Sep 1944. The Thomson struck a mine on that same day and a number of soldiers were killed or missing. Is there a way to determine if the 133rd was on board and if there would ve a manifest available?

Thanks you!

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Respectfully, may I correct the spelling of the ship in question?  It was the SS Elihu Thompson, Thompson with a "p".  
       The 133rd MP Service Platoon participated in one Campaign:

Luzon     December 15, 1944-July 4, 1945

The SS Elihu Thompson struck an enemy mine in the harbor at Noumea, New Caledonia on September 25/26, 1944.  From my research, 11 members of the US Army were KIA, 22 members of the US Army were MIA.
       May I suggest you contact:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

to learn if the unit records are at that location.  To my knowledge, there is no troop manifest available.  For the decades I have been performing this sort of research, I have often "heard" that the troop manifests were destroyed in the late 1940's & early 1950's.  Could never find this in print, & none of my peers seem to know why the troop manifests were destroyed.  Regardless, I have N-E-V-E-R found a troop manifest, via the US Navy.  Sometimes the US Army unit records may have a troop manifest, so again I would contact Carlisle.
       Do you have the name(s) of those who were onboard the SS Elihu Thompson for the event in question?  If so, may I suggest you obtain the I.D.P.F. (Individual Deceased Personnel Files) for those that were KIA or MIA.  The I.D.P.F. are in the Public Domain, so anyone may obtain a copy.  At this time the I.D.P.F. are located at Fort Know, Kentucky.
       My apology for not providing the affirmative reply you desire.  Hopefully further research will provide you with answers.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.