Military History/Elihu Thomson Liberty Ship

Patrick V. Garland wrote at 2014-10-22 13:30:09
In yesterday's mail I received a document, "Historical Record and History of 133rd MP Platoon, APO 502 (for quarter ending 30 September 1944." On page 2 of this document it is stated: On 26 September 1944 aboard the ship SS Elihu Thomson (no P), preparing to disembark, off the coast of New Caledonia, explosions aboard the ship, forward and starboard, of undetermined origin. Personnel of the organization abandoned ship and were picked up and landed at Noumea, New Caledonia. As a result of these explosions, one officer, 1st Lt. Paul B. Williams, Commanding and 19 Enlisted Men of this unit were killed. All bodies were recovered and have been buried in US Cemetery No 1, New Caledonia.

WW 2 Connections wrote at 2014-10-25 22:40:32
Dear Mr. Garland,

Thank you for sharing these facts with me.  I'm not quite sure why you shared these facts with me, but your efforts are GREATLY appreciated.

Richard V. Horrell

WW 2 Connections

Dianne Delitto wrote at 2015-04-17 21:55:13
My dad SSGT James A Delitto was aboard the Elihu S Thompson when it struck a mine off the coast of New Calidonia. He survived the war and died in 1993.

Richard V. Horrell wrote at 2015-04-19 20:08:03
Thank you for sharing this with me.  I'm not quite sure why you have done so, but thank you just the same.

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.