Military History/Potsdam Conference

I would like to know what the most important points were on the Potsdam Conference and the main controversies of it (if there were any) so that I may research objectively (to save time).

The Potsdam Conference was controversial, especially during the Cold War, mainly because in post-War War II Europe, the Soviet Union took control of Eastern Germany and influenced the formation of communist governments under their sway in nearly all of Central and Eastern Europe: in Poland, the former Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Albania, and (to a much lesser extent) the former Yugoslavia. Plus, the Soviets controlled the Baltic Republics of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.

The Truman Administration came under much criticism during the Red Scare of the early 1950s for allegedly not standing up to Stalin at Potsdam.

There also was controversy at the time about the United States not telling the Soviets that it was about to attack Japan with the atomic bomb.

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America