Military History/World War 1 German shell casing

Question
Hello Claes-Gustaf,

My name is Keith Langdon, Australian and lived in France for a number of years. My father-in-law gave me a shell case from the First World War. Originally, I thought it was English but after some research have found that it is German.

The Shell is:
23 cm long and made of copper

Markings on the bottom of casing are:

St

GFSP 200

SEPT 1915

SP197

From what I have found is that GFSP is:
Geschossfabrik Spandau (manufacturer in Spandau (a suburb of Berlin).

SEPT 1915, I assume is date of manufacture.

SP197 is the company's inspection number.

I have no idea what the 200 means?
Nor, the type of shell it is? Or, which battles it was used.

Do hope you can shed some light on this for me and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Keith Langdon

Answer
I will check this out together with my friend Lt. Col. S. Bojerud. After that I will come back to you. OK?

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Measure the diameter of the shell. If it is 200 mm = 20 cm we know that it just means the caliber of the shell. If not please let us know and we will continue the investigation.

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.