Military History/506th AAA Gun Battalion on Iwo Jima

Question
Richard,

The page that gave me this link has caused me some confusion.  For a long time now I've been under the impression that the 506th AA Battalion came to Iwo Jima on LST 84.  Now I read that at least some of that Battalion went there on LST 944.  

I've always thought that four batteries, or sixteen 90mm guns, was too much for one LST.  This seems to reinforce that notion.  My original source was a veteran of the 506th on Iwo, Bob Kemp, who operated one of the 4 guns of A Battery, which was placed at the foot of Mt. Suribachi.

Do you have any more information on this, or can you direct me to other sources?  Thank you,

Dan MacDonald  

Answer
Dear Mr. MacDonald,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "The page that gave me this link has caused me some confusion."  My apology for any "confusion" caused by AllExperts.  The staff at AllExperts try their best to provide FACTS, as well as to clear up any confusion as per information / FACTS.  Again, my apology, I am sorry.
       In your question you typed "Now I read that at least some of that Battalion went there on LST 944."  Please note that what was typed was from "Rod" on October 12, 2013.  I have no idea of the source for what "Rod" typed.  Your confusion is with "Rod" not AllExperts nor me.
       In your question you typed "My original source was a veteran of the 506th on Iwo, Bob Kemp".  Recollections of a Veteran (Oral History ???) are good, as long as used in context.  Most Veterans were not trying to record history while in combat.  Rather, their interests were to stay alive, in one piece, kill the enemy, return to the USA & find a job (not necessarily in that order).  Oral History, when cooroborated with FACTS are wonderful.  Without the FACTS, the recollections are subjct to memory over time, senility, the recollections taking on a life of its own over time, etc.  I do not type this to offend anyone, rather to place Recollections of a Veteran (Oral History ???) in context.
       In your question you typed "Do you have any more information on this, or can you direct me to other sources?"  "Information" no.  I work like Sgt. Joe Friday did on Dragnet, "The FACTS ma'am, only the FACTS!"  As to other sources:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The National Museum of the Pacific War
(Admiral Nimitz Museum)
 340 East Main Street
  Fredericksburg   TX   78624

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell