Military History/My fathers military history of the Second World War

Question
QUESTION: My Father was with the 6th armoured div, 777th AAA battalion.
Sworn in late march 1943, at Fort Snelling Mn,  
While I believe his unit landed on the Normandy Beaches, it was not on D-Day.  
He was sent to a hospital late Oct 1944 in Nancy France and spent 3 months there, after that he went to England early March 1945.
I have his military address while in France, and a different one while he was in England.
I believe he was on the Niew Amsterdam that sailed out of NY on 4/18/1944
Any information you can give me especially from induction of this unit at Ft Snelling, to duty while in Europe would be appreciated.
Thank you

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My father was with the 6th armored div, 777th AAA battalion."  Just so we are clear on this point, your father  was assigned [assigned] to the 777th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion.  The 777th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion was attached [attached] to the 6th Armored Division, July 22, 1944-June 29, 1945.
       In your question you typed "While I believe his unit landed on the Normandy Beaches, it was not on D-Day."  The 777th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion arrived in France July 20, 1944.
       In your question you typed "I believe he was on the Niew [sic] Amsterdam that sailed out of NY on 4/18/1944".  The following FACTS may be of interest to you:

Departure Date:   April 18, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Nieuw Amsterdam
Arrival Date:   April 26, 1944
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

In your question you typed "Any information you can give me especially from induction of this unit at Ft Snelling".  I am unsure as to what you mean by "induction of this unit".  The 777th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion was activated at Fort Sheridan, Illinois March 20, 1943.
       I could find no publication of a unit history of the 777th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion, but the following may be an adequate substitution:

The Super Sixth
by George F. Hofmann     (yes, only one  f  )
Nashville, TN        The Battery Press, Inc.        2000

ISBN: 0-89839-307-8

Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Thank you for your prompt and enlightening response.
I do have a question.  You said the 777th arrived in France 7/20/1944,
do you have a specific location, was it on one of the beaches?   We will be in the Normandy/Paris area this summer, so if we know any specific areas we will make sure we visit them.
If I made a "private" request with more specific information about my father, do you think that may result in additional information?
Appreciate your information.

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed 'You said the.......one of the beaches?"  In my opinion, UTAH Beach (Coded locations were typed in caps, so I am not shouting to you).
       In your follow-up you typed "If I made a.......result in additional information?"  I cannot type a reply until I read the topic in question.  Please know that I will never divulge anything of what you may type to anyone else.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

QUESTION: I have recently found information that stated my fathers unit landed on French soil at les Dunes de Varreville on the St Germain Beachhead, and then moved to assembly area near le Mesnil.   Would it still be your opinion that they landed at UTAH Beach?
Appreciate your response.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "I have recently found information.......assembly area near le Mesnil."  I will agree that these are the FACTS as per the 777th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion.  As to it being your father's unit, if you type so, ok.
       In your question you typed "Would it still be in your opinion that they landed at UTAH Beach?"  Yes, absolutely.  It wasn't OMAHA, GOLD, JUNO nor SWORD, so UTAH Beach is the only choice left.  Has someone indicated the 777th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion arrived in France at another location?  That would be interesting.
       Hope you enjoy your visit to the E.T.O.  Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell