Military History/S/Sgt. Chester Joseph Hall, 172nd Infantry Regiment, 43rd Infantry Division

hello I am writing in regards to my grandfather SSG Chester Joseph Hall who was in the ww2 and was in the pacific witch I do believe with the 43rd infantry division he was a Vermont soldier so in guessing that he was with the 172nd infantry regiment I have been trying for months to try and find anything on him and keep coming up empty if you could find anything on him that would be great looking for roster number any awards he my have received and anything to do with his service in the war. he had died before I was born so never got a chance to meet or talk to him and my mother nor her siblings seem to have much info on his military service and or awards

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "was in the pacific [sic] witch [sic] I do believe with the 43rd infantry [sic] division" [sic].  Would you be so kind as to provide me with the Fact-Based Documentation that your grandfather was assigned to the 43rd Infantry Division?
       In your question you typed "he was a Vermont soldier so in [sic] guessing that he was with the 172nd infantry [sic] regiment" [sic].  As a pre-war resident of Vermont, your grandfather had the potential to have enlisted in the Vermont National Guard.  However, just because your grandfather was a pre-war resident of Vermont does not mean that he would have been assigned to the 172nd Infantry Regiment, Vermont National Guard.
       In your question you typed "looking for a roster number".  Unit rosters are located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

May I suggest that you continue your research by first determining whether or not your grandfather was a pre-war member of the Vermont National Guard.  That could be determined by reading your grandfather's Discharge Documents, which are invaluable toward ACCURATE historic research.  The source for your grandfather's Discharge Documents is you, on another member of your family.  Your grandfather was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents.  Where are those documents?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.