Military History/verification of Bronze Star and PH medals

news clipping
news clipping  

My father, Fred Warnell was with the 132nd Ord.Maint. Bn. with the 10th armored division. I am trying to discover if he was awarded a Bronze Star Medal for actions he took part in on April 19, 1945. I have attached his separation paper. I have a copy of a newspaper article from August 29, 1945 which I have also attached. The article was in the Auburn Globe News - a local paper.

I have requested the morning reports from an independent researcher as well as the GO of the 132nd. The BS recommendation does not appear in the GO at the division level. I further came across an article in the June 16, 1945 edition of "The Tigers Tale"- the newspaper published by the 10th armored division- which mentions my father in an engagement with a German unit on or around the 19 April. Dad was a cook but saw fighting action from time to time. I have stumbled on a military website that appears to list many GO's. It is difficult to find Dad's name, not knowing where and which GO to look at. Here is the website. Am I looking in the right place?

In the article it is also mentioned that he was awarded a purple heart. This is absent on his separation papers and I am wondering if I might find documentation at the actual hospital he was treated at? I could very easily see Dad not mentioning to his CO that he had to get treated for a wound. That is ,of course, conjecture on my part.

He left ETO before the rest of the division on 2 Aug 45. His ASR was very low. I am wondering if he was slated to go to the Pacific after his 30 day furlough? So many questions...

Thank You for your time and effort!

Kind Regards,

ANSWER: You have done an amazing amount of work here. The DD-214, as I'm guessing you know, is the ultimate authority. If the Bronze Star and Purple Heart are not noted on there, your father did not receive those awards, at least as far as the U.S. military is officially concerned.

I have one suggestion for you. Members of Congress routinely investigate these kinds of things for constituents. I would suggest you email (or better yet, call) your Congressman and explain that you have evidence indicating your father received the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, yet they are not listed on his DD-214. Someone on the staff should have the expertise to put in a query to the Pentagon. If not, go to one of your U.S. Senators.

Hope this help.

QUESTION: Hello Marc,

Thanks for the reply. You offer excellent advice. After I receive the MR's from the researcher and the Special Orders from the archives, that is exactly what I will do. One quick follow up question...
Dad's ASR score was 63 on 2 Sep 45. His eventual separation date was 9 Nov 45. That would mean that he garnered two more points for continued service until Nov-thus giving him a score of 65. Please correct me if I am wrong but the point total at that date had been lowered to 75 ( from 85). Herein lies my dilemma. According to the newspaper article, if he was awarded the BS medal, he would have enough points to be discharged. He needed 10 points to reach 75 and this would tally if the BS and a PH were awarded...Does that make sense? My research continues! If it weren't for the article, I would just let it go but there have been occasions that the military have "misplaced " paperwork although I agree with your assessment that facts trump theory. I am hoping to discover in the 132nd GO that there was at least the recommendation that the clipping speaks of . As to wether or not he was approved...well we will just have to see...Thanks again for your efforts!

I am not familiar with the point system used to determine separation dates in WWII. Sorry.

One other source you might try on that (as well as your other questions) is the Army Center of Military History. The web site is

Good luck,

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America