Military History/323rd Engineer battalion

Question
Mr. Horrell, Trying to find information on, American Military occupation, for the 323rd engineer battalion, in Japan.  I have a widow, for H.B., who died of, brain cancer, (glioblastoma). Veterans Administration cannot find any record of American occupation forces in Hiroshima or Nagasaki, Japan that veteran had been at those locations. Appreciate your assistance. Joe Battito, VSO.

Answer
Dear Mr. Battito,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "American Military occupation, for the 323rd engineer battalion, in Japan."  First of all, the unit in question was the 323rd Engineer Combat Battalion, organic (assigned) to the 98th Infantry Division, September 15, 1942-February 16, 1946.  The following are unit histories of the 98th Infantry Division, always a great source for the sort of FACTS you desire:

Occupation of Japan, 98th Infantry Division
by ___________
___________        ___________        1945

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Occupation of Japan, Pictorial Supplement, 98th Infantry Division
by ___________

Proud and Ready:
A historical retrospective on the 75th Anniversary of the 98th Division (Institutional Training), 1921-1996
 by ___________
Rochester, N.Y.      Public Affairs Office, 98th Division (Institutional Training)      1996

98th Division, 50 Years of Service
by Laurence W. Feisel
___________        ___________        1971

Strength in Reserve: The 98th Infantry Division in World War II
by Jack Greene
___________        ___________        2000

Also, the following FACTS may also be of interest:

Departure Date:   September 7, 1945
Departure Location:   Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii
Troop Ships:   USS Callaway  APA-35
         USS John Land  AP-167
         USS Troilus  AKA-46
         USS Winston  AKA-94
         (elements of the 98th Infantry Division onboard each troop ship)
Arrival Date:   September 27, 1945
Arrival Location:   Wakayama, Honshu, Japan (south/southeast of Kobe-Osaka)

In your question you typed "H.B.".  What is "H.B."?
       In your question you typed "Veterans Administration cannot find any record of American occupation forces in Hiroshima or Nagasaki".  I would be surprised if the V.A. could find such FACTS, since the V.A. is to provide resources for Veterans, not to conduct ACCURATE historic research.  May I suggest you contact:

The National Museum of the Pacific War
(Admiral Nimitz Museum)
340 East Main Street
Fredericksburg     TX     78624

In your question you typed "veteran had been at those locations."  Once occupation began, it was QUITE common for Veterans, especially those based on Honshu (Hiroshima) or Kyushu (Nagasaki) to visit the sites that avenged Bataan.  Hundreds of Veterans have told me of their visit to Hiroshima &/or Nagasaki, to remember Bataan, as well as to give thanks to President Truman for saving the Veteran from having to participate in Operation OLYMPIC-CORONET.
       In your question you typed "VSO".  What is "VSO"?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell