Military History/49th Service Squadron, USAAF, WW 2

Question
Mr. Horrell. I am doing some research on my father, who shared some of his WW2 journey with me prior to being killed in an auto accident in 1978. My father joined the US Army Air Forces in Nov. 1943 (date of entry into active service was Dec. 1, 1943, at Ft. Oglethorpe, GA. His organization was the 49th Service Squadron. His date of departure for the Asiatic-Pacific Theater was April 27, 1944, and his date of arrival was May 18, 1944. His "Battles and Campaigns" were New Guinea, Southern Philippines and Luzon. I know he spent some time in Australia. He served in the occupation of Japan. His "date of departure" from AP was January 12, 1946 and his "date of arrival" in the US was January 26, 1946.He was discharged on Feb. 4, 1946 at Camp Chafee, Arkansas.
Any assistance with his/the 49th SV SQ movements and locations during the AP Theater action and also the ships and air transports he rode would be genuinely appreciated. I recall he told me he either went out of San Francisco and returned via Seattle, or vice versa. Thank you.

Answer
Hello neighbor,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "Army Air Force".  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!  You are one of VERY,VERY few to type the correct term, "Army Air Firce" for this entity, December 7, 1941-September 2, 1945.  YOU are a gentleman, a scholar & there are not many of us left!
       As to the April-May, 1944 dates, I do not have an absolute answer.  The following are the FACTS that come the closest to what you provided in your question:

Departure Date:   April 27, 1944
Departure Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USS West Point  AP-23
Arrival Date:   May 12, 1944
Arrival Location:   Sydney, Australia

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   April 28, 1944
Departure Location:   San Francisco P of E
Troop Ship:   SS Sloterdijk (Dutch)
Arrival Date:   May 15, 1944
Arrival Location:   Noumea, New Caledonia

Departure Date:   April 28, 1944
Troop Ships:   SS Cape Flattery
         USS Monticello  AP-61
Arrival Date:   May 20, 1944
Arrival Location:   Milne Bay, New Guinea

In your question you typed "His "Battles and.......and Luzon."

New Guinea          January 24, 1943-December 31, 1944
Luzon          December 15, 1944-July 4, 1945
Southern Philippines   February 27-July 4, 1945

As to the January 1946 dates, I do not have an absolute answer.  The following are the FACTS that come the closest to what you provided in your question:

Departure Date:   January 12, 1946
Departure Location:   Nagasaki, Japan
Troop Ship:   USS Hinsdale  APA-120
Arrival Date:   January 24, 1946
Arrival Location:   San Francisco P of E

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   January 14, 1946
Departure Location:   Nagoya, Japan
Troop Ship:   USS General M.C. Meigs  AP-116
Arrival Date:   January 24, 1946

Departure Date:   January 14, 1946
Departure Location:   Yokosuka, Japan
Troop Ship:   USS Eastland  APA-163
Arrival Date:   January 28, 1946
Arrival Location:   Seattle P of E

My apology for the FACTS I provided not matching exactly what you have typed.  I am sure you are 100% accurate, as is your source.  Two points to keep in mind:  an International Date Line is in play, as well as the date a Veteran boards a troop ship & the date the troop ship departs was not always the same date.  LARGE troop ships take awhile to load, & small ports take longer time to send off troop ships than larger ports.
       You are welcome to photocopy your father's Discharge Documents (all four pages preferred) then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with a fellow "Volunteer" all the FACTS I glean from the photocopies.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell