Military History/844th Ordnance Depot Company

My father, long deceased, never shared his military service with his daughters. His military occupation was listed as a welder with the 844th ordnance depot company. He was discharged with the rank of " Technician Fifth Grade" in December 1945. He served in the Ryukyus campaign and his name was Marion Wheeler. Any information you can offer about his unit's mission would be precious to us.

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "His military occupation was listed as a welder".  In Box #30, does the number 256 appear?  There were different types of "welder" in the US Army during WW 2, so I need the M.O.S. Number to provide you with FACTS.
       In your question you typed "He was discharged with the rank of "Technician Fifth Grade" in December 1945."  Pay was $66.00 per month.
       In your question you typed "He served in the Ryukyus campaign".

Ryukyus     March 26-July 2, 1945

Simply typed, the Ryukyus Campaign was the Battle of Okinawa, beginning April 1 (Easter Sunday / April Fool's Day) 1945.
       In your question you typed "Any information precious to us."  An Ordnance Depot Company is a unit that keeps an inventory of all items related to the Ordnance of a unit, in this case US Tenth Army.  From the smallest gear of a stop watch to a barrel for a 240mm Howitzer (A BIG ITEM) the 844th Ordnance Depot Company not only kept the items on hand, in tip-top condition & ready to install.  The item being replaced would then be sent back to the 844th for repair.  As a welder, that was where your father would be working, but not limited to only repair.  Someone may have a new idea that required welding, so your father would be brought in to weld.  Please keep in mind, all welding was not done at the depot.  Sometimes the welding job was performed under enemy fire.  Others use an M1 Garand Rifle to fight the enemy, your father used a welding torch.  In combat, all men are brave.  How brave was your father to utilize a weapon that did not fire back?  THANK YOU T-5 Wheeler for defending our great republic!
       I encourage you to photocopy your father's Discharge Documents (all four pages if available) then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  It would be an honour to share with you all the FACTS I glean from the Discharge Documents about your father.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.