Military History/Arisaka Rifle

For insurance purposes, I'm hoping to find the value of an Arisaka bolt action rifle that I inherited from my Grandfather.  My curiosity has been raised because it has something other than the Imperial Chrysathemum Seal, the wood finish seems to be lighter than others I've seen, and it seems to have a rather low serial number (three digits).  If you could help, I'd sure appreciate it.  I've included the markings from the gun, other than the serial number.  Thanks!

You have a very unusual Typ99.  Do you know when your Grandfather serviced in the military?  This doesn’t look like a Japanese built Type99 but is similar to several knock offs made in China in the 1940s.  Type 99s was used by both South and North Korean forces.  Near the end of World War 2 the Japanese were desperate for weapons and started getting guns made in China and Korea.  After World War 2 some of the guns fell into the hands of the Communist Chinese and what would become the South Korean Army.  Your gun looks in fantastic shape, but I would have a Gunsmith look at it.  Prices vary but 300 to over 1000 dollars is possible but again have a gunsmith look at it.  

I wish I could give you more information but check out the links as they may help.

Thank you  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.