Military History/Grenade

Question
Hi, thank you in advance for your expertise. I have a question… my father recently passed away and when my mom and I were going through some of his things, I found what appears to be an old grenade. Whether it is real or a reproduction, I'm not sure. My mom knew about it and said he had found it someplace and didn't act like it was a big deal. Now my husband wants it for his "man cave." I have two children and obviously just want to make sure it's safe before putting it in my home. All I know is that it's heavy and appears to still have a pin. My mom says there's no way my dad would've kept it if it were unsafe but I just need to be sure. What can I look for to tell if it was real or what information would you need to ensure that it is safe? Thank you!!

Answer
Greetings

More than likely you have a practice grenade, but it may be live.  I would take a picture of it and check at local gun stores and local police station.  If it is live call the police.  Please be careful after some years the explosive in it came become dangerously unstable. After many years of sitting around a practice grenade and real one will look almost the same.

I hope this helps and check out the below link.

Thank you

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1010955/pg1  

Military History

Paul Sutton