Military History/Norway Military Uniform

Question
QUESTION: I am hoping you can identify this uniform please.  It is an ancestor Kristian Larsen, living in Norway around 1870. He lived in Hedmark/Akershus areas but I've been told there was no active military at the time.  Maybe some kind of Guard?
The rifle is also of some interest.

I wish it was in colour  :o)

Thanks so much!

ANSWER: Akershus is an old castle or rather fortress. But I do not know if there was any military activity there at that time. I do need to ask my friend Lt. Colonel S. Bojerud for some help with this. He is an ace when it comes to old uniforms! As soon as he answers I will come back to you! Thanks for the picture! It does like a military uniform.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Col. Bojerud is not well! We will have to Waits until he is unfortunately!

Col. Bojerud has replied. The matteri is made more difficult by the fact that no grade or regimental signs can be seen in the uniform. That makes only a partial answer possible. What is evident is that this is a Norwegian army uniform. More precisely an infantry uniform. Without any signs we have to assume that the soldier is a private. But we do not know. The rifle is a Jarman model 1884. Since these rifles did not reach the units immediately the time frame starts at 1885. It ends not earlier than 1905 when the union between Norway and Sweden was dissolved since some Norwegian units at that time still had this rifle and uniform. It is not possible to be more precise than that. There is a conflict between this time frame and the one you mentioned but we can not do anything about that. This rifle did not exist earlier! Sorry we can not be more precise.

QUESTION: Thank you so very much for all your and your Colleague's help.
Alot more information that I hoped for.  The only thing now is I thought he was younger (wearing this uniform) and didn't think about his death date (he died in 1882) so that is before the time frame in the information you sent me.  This will confuse us all I'm sure.  If this rifle model was from 1884 on maybe it is an earlier model?  I appreciate all your help!

Answer
Col. Bojerud is sure of the gun type. I can not argue with him on that though I too am astonished with regards to your date information. If he died in 1882 something here is not correct to say the least! I will have a discussion with the colonel. I will come back to you.

Col. Bojerud has checked the picture again. The rifle before the Jarland was a Remington (from the late 1860ies) and the gun in the picture is NOT a Remington! The ONLY explanation we can offer is that the picture is not showing your ancestor at around 1870 but someone else at a later time!

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.