Military History/Troop Ships & 30th Evacuation Hospital (PTO)

Question
Blackwell-Discharge2
Blackwell-Discharge2  
Any information on a troop ship leaving Los Angeles on 9/7/1943 caring possibly 30th Evacuation Hospital and arriving at their location on 10/1/1943? Name of troop ship that returned the 30th Evacuation Hospital from Asiatic-Pacific on 11/18/1945 and arrived in US on 11/29/1945? Any info on 30th Evac Hospital in Asiatic-Pacific? What type of lapel button would have been worn on the left lapel of Class A uniform for a cook assigned to 30th Evac Hospital? Would they have worn any DUIs? What type of stripes would a "Technician Fourth Grade" have worn? Can you see any important info on attached discharge paper about service?

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for this question on Decoration Day.  In it you typed "Any information on a troop ship leaving Los Angeles on 9/7/1943 caring [sic] possibly 30th Evacuation Hospital and arriving at their location on 10/1/1943?"  May I ask, what is your fact-based source the troop ship departed the Los Angeles Port of Embarkation?

Departure Date:   September 7, 1943
Departure Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS President Johnson
Arrival Date:   October 1, 1943
Arrival Location:   Brisbane, Australia

In your question you typed "Name of troop ship that returned the 30th Evacuation Hospital from Asiatic-Pacific on 11/18/1945 and arrived in US on 11/29/1945?" I have no idea what-so-ever if the 30th Evacuation Hospital was onboard or not:

Departure Date:   November 18, 1945
Departure Location:   Yokohama, Japan
Troop Ship:   SS Ernie Pyle
Arrival Date:   November 29, 1945
Arrival Location:   Seattle Port of Embarkation

In your question you typed "Any info on 30th Evac Hospital in Asiatic-Pacific?"  May I suggest you obtain a copy of:

Tropical Sunset
by Dorothy N. Perkins
Rancho Santa Fe, California          Neblett Press          1995

or, you may wish to contact:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle     PA     17013

for the unit records.

In your question you typed "What type of lapel button would have been worn on the left lapel of Class A uniform for a cook assigned to 30th Evac Hospital?"  When you typed "lapel button" if you are referring to E.M. Collar Brass, Quartermaster Corps.
       In your question you typed "What type of stripes would a "Technician Fourth Grade" have worn?"  Your question is un-clear to me, so I will type that his chevron would have had three stripes with a "T" beneath the lower stripe.  Pay was $78.00 per month.
       In your question you typed "Can you see any important info on attached discharge paper about his service?"  Just so we are clear as to the context of this answer, the Veteran & the 30th Evacuation Hospital are two, entirely different entities.  Sometimes they merge, sometimes not.
       Based upon the FACTS typed on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents & the FACTS I have about the history of the 30th Evacuation Hospital, it is my opinion that the unit typed in Box #6 was the unit the Veteran was assigned to after September 2, 1945 to return to the USA with, not the unit the Veteran was assigned to prior to September 2, 1945.  Have you other fact-based sources the Veteran was assigned to the 30th Evacuation Hospital prior to September 2, 1945?
       The Veteran participated in the New Guinea, Bismarck Archipelago & Southern Philippines Campaigns.  The 30th Evacuation Hospital participated in the New Guinea, Bismarck Archipelago, Leyte & Southern Philippines Campaigns.  The Veteran's unit was awarded a "Meritorious Unit Award" (Meritorious Unit Commendation) the 30th Evacuation Hospital was not awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation.  The Veteran was awarded a "Philippine Liberation Medal" the men assigned to the 30th Evacuation Hospital were awarded a Philippine Presidential Unit Citation.
       Lastly, in your question you typed "Any information on a troop ship.......at their location on 10/1/1943?"  Box #36 on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents indicate the arrival date as "14  Oct  43".  Somehow I see an inconsistency here.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

PS     The 30th Evacuation Hospital was based on New Britain in support of Operation CARTWHEEL sometime between June 1943 & May 1944.  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell