Military History/Co. A 715 MRS

Question
QUESTION: In a posting you mentioned that you have bulletins concerning 715 MRS.  I am not familiar with these could you give me some information about the data it contains and it's source.  I am trying to assemble  WW II history of father-in-law (Sgt. Clifford Beason) who served in Co A 715th MSR in Africa and Italy.  Thank you

John Soma

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "In a posting you mentioned".  Since I place hundreds of posting a month, would you please place "a posting" in context?  Date?  To whom?  Was is placed at AllExperts?
       In your question you typed "715 MRS".  I looked at my list of units activated by the U.S. Army during WW 2 & I could find no 715th M_______ R_______ S_______ activated.  Would you be so kind as to fill in the _______ as per "715 MRS"?
       In your question you typed "who served in Co A 715th MSR in Africa and Italy."  Now I am really confused.  Is the acronym in question "MRS" or "MSR"?  Please clarify.

Perplexed,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,

First off let me thank you and compliment you on the quick reply.  The source of my question was the web address: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Militarty-History-669/2012/1/military-railway-service.  The posting was your answer to a question by "nancy" asking about the information you have on the MRS Unit histories. The correct unit ID (I believe) is Company A, 715th Battalion, 1st Military Railroad Service. There is also some reference that the battalions were also organized into Grand Divisions. I can understand your difficulty in finding this unit. I have been trying, off and on, for nearly 15 years with some success on the MRS history but very little on the 715th. Much of the info I have found is in short articles that have conflicts with each other, particularly terminology. Yesterday I ordered the book UNITED STATES MILITARY RAILWAY SERVICE that you mentioned.

Sorry about the confusion.

John Soma

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "The correct unit ID (I believe) is Company A, 715th Battalion, 1st Military Railroad Service."  No sir, that is incorrect.  The unit in question is Company A, 715th Railway Operating Battalion, Transportation Corps.  That is the numerical designation of the unit activated by the U.S. Army at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, October 31, 1942.
       In your question you typed "I can understand your difficulty in finding this unit."  I am having no problem, what-so-ever researching for FACTS about the 715th Railway Operating Battalion, once I know that it is the 715th Railway Operating Battalion that FACTS are desired of.
       Either the SS Monterey, SS Santa Rosa or USAT George Washington transported the 715th Railway Operating Battalion overseas, arriving in North Africa May 11, 1943.
       The 715th Railway Operating Battalion participated in the following Campaigns in the M.T.O., 1943-45:

Naples-Foggia        September 9, 1943-January 21, 1944
Rome-Arno          January 22-September 9, 1944
North Apennines      September 10, 1944-April 4, 1945
Po Valley          April 5-May 8, 1945

The 715th Railway Operating Battalion operated between Naples, Italy & the Liri Valley, Winter 1943-44.
       The 715th Railway Operating Battalion operated between Leghorn, Italy & Pisa, Italy, September-October 1944.
       The 715th Railway Operating Battalion operated between Pisa, Italy & Florence, Italy, Winter 1944-45.
       The 715th Railway Operating Battalion was awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation for the period January 15-March 18, 1945.  General Order #54, H.Q., M.T.O.U.S.A. (Mediterranean Theater of Operation, United States Army) awarded March 26, 1945.
       The 715th Railway Operating Battalion was based at Florence, Italy, April 30, 1945.
       The 715th Railway Operating Battalion returned to the U.S.A. onboard the USS General M.B. Stewart  AP-140, New York Port of Embarkation August 19, 1945.

Richard V. Horrell
        WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell