Military History/Co C, 1891st Engineer Aviation Battalion

Question
Dear Mr. Horrell - Thank you for volunteering your expertise on WW II to us, the public.  We are all very grateful for what you do.  I am trying to write a summary of my father's life for my children and grandchildren, and I am looking at my father's discharge papers with many questions.  He served overseas from Aug 1944 to Nov 1945 in the China Burma India Theater.  Battles and campaigns listed were China, Central Burma, India Burma, China Offensive.  His military occupation was Foreman Construction 608.  What does that mean?  He never wanted to talk much about the war experiences, but he spoke of having to drive trucks over the Himilayas and in the jungle.  He also spoke of having to fly into the jungle in a glider and that there was a high casualty rate.  Can you tell me anything about this?  Can you give me any more information about the 1891st Battalion (I assume Bn is an abbreviation for Battalion)?  How many men in the Battalion?  in Company C?  I would appreciate any info on the 1891st, as I have not been able to find much in surfing the internet other than a good testimonial or two.  Does "Engineer Aviation refer to Army or Air Force.  I think he also worked at making landing strips.   Thank you again!

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "listed were China, Central Burma, India Burma, China Offensive."  

Central Burma      January 29-July 15, 1945
India-Burma        April 2, 1942-January 28, 1945
China Offensive    May 5-September 2, 1945

Also, I could find no record what-so-ever of a Campaign classified as "China".
       The Campaigns credited to the 1891st Engineer Aviation Battalion for WW 2 is as follows:

China Defensive        July 4, 1942-May 4, 1945
Central Burma          January 29-July 15, 1945
China Offensive        May 5-September 2, 1945

As you can read, the lists of Campaigns differ.  May I ask, what is your source that your father was assigned to the 1891st Engineer Aviation Battalion?  Was it Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?  That was the unit your father was assigned to when he was discharged, but not necessarily the unit he was assigned to prior to V-J Day, September 2, 1945.  If photocopies of all four pages of your father's Discharge Documents were available to me that would help, but I will work with the FACTS you have provided.
       In your question you typed "military occupation was Foreman Construction 608.  What does that mean?"  Your father was in charge of a group of men constructing airfields or the buildings, hardstands, hangers, etc so that the air field would function.
       In your question you typed "He also spoke of.......anything about this?"  The glider in question was the CG-4A, manufactured by Waco Aircraft Company of Troy, Ohio.
       In your question you typed "Can you give me any more information about the 1891st?"  I suggest you contact the following for the unit records:

U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle    PA    17013

In your question you typed " How many men in the Battalion?"  33 Officers, 774 Enlisted Men.
       In your question you typed Does "Engineer Aviation refer to Army or Air Force.  Army, the United States Air Force did not exist until the National Defense Act of September 1947, two years after WW 2 ended.
       In your question you typed "I think he also worked at making landing strips."  Remove the word "also" & you have your father's service during WW 2 in a nut shell.
       The following is a FACT about the 1891st Engineer Aviation Battalion.  I provide this FACT in the context of being ONLY about the 1891st Engineer Aviation Battalion:

Departure Date:   August 30, 1944
Departure Location:   Los Angeles, CA Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USS General G.M. Randall  AP-115
Unit Onboard:   1891st Engineer Aviation Battalion
Arrival Date:   October 7, 1944
Arrival Location:   Bombay, India
    via Suva, Fiji Islands & Melbourne, Australia

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell